NEED HELP ASAP!

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
Well kinda both at the moment. I have a Jaguar I can't seem to damn near pay somebody to take. 7" Rapael Cats, 13" Ornate Bichir, and 2 7" CL's. They all came with the tank when I bought it. I have them in a 55 I rushed out to buy when all this happened. Craigslist was both a curse and a blessing all within 24 hours. lol

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
Everybody and their brother keeps telling me to do a complete reseal but not sure what that entails and I really don't have the time for it. Not sure if that means take it all the way apart til I have a stack of glass or just clean out all the old silicon on the inside and and just reapply new.

pdandy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Gretna, Nebraska
Everybody and their brother keeps telling me to do a complete reseal but not sure what that entails and I really don't have the time for it. Not sure if that means take it all the way apart til I have a stack of glass or just clean out all the old silicon on the inside and and just reapply new.
That just means to scrape out all of the silicon inside of the tank and lay down one continuous bead. New silicon doesn't really stick to old silicone.

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
Do I need to remove the top rim/trim and brace or leave them in place and just do the corners?

Tank 3.jpg

Big Fish Freak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2014
USA
No need to remove the trim. If you can, squirt a little bit of silicone into there as well so that when you clamp it that will help hold it together from the outside as well.

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
Little confused. Squirt silicon into the trim? It's all completely siliconed over anyways so the adhesive won't stick. What I'm gathering is just strip out the corners and the bottom and shoot over those again, correct? I only have one clamp.

Reactions: boldtogether

Big Fish Freak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2014
USA
View attachment 1144363

see in the top corner of the tank how the trim is separated? if you can clean the silicone out of that gap, do it and then put a nice dab of it there so that when you clamp the tank back together you are re-joining the trim together with a bond as well. does that make sense at all?

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
OOOHH, gotcha. I was planning on doing that as well as adding one small screw like I did in another corner just to give it a little more reinforcement

Big Fish Freak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I would do a staple vs a screw but if its actually wood then a screw might be better. Your tank looks like it has plastic trim and that's the only reason I would say a staple over a screw. But either way, you got it.

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
It appears to be actual wood so I'm going for the screw. Thank for all you help bro and be ready for future questions! lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store