New festae addition - will update thread with pics periodically

Rsc89

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2016
Nice pair! I have a 10" F1 rio tumbes male thats an absolute stunner. Hes a bit of a wife beater but his female never grew past 4" for some reason and hes still putting on size. I think he wants to spawn and shes not ready so he ruffs her up. I separated the pair yesterday and hes by himself in the 150. Does your male constantly flair at his reflection and chase himself even when not in spawning mode? My male is constantly paying attention to his reflection and working himself up. Maybe i just grew out an overly agressive one.

Reactions: RampageRR

redwolf1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2016
Nice pair! I have a 10" F1 rio tumbes male thats an absolute stunner. Hes a bit of a wife beater but his female never grew past 4" for some reason and hes still putting on size. I think he wants to spawn and shes not ready so he ruffs her up. I separated the pair yesterday and hes by himself in the 150. Does your male constantly flair at his reflection and chase himself even when not in spawning mode? My male is constantly paying attention to his reflection and working himself up. Maybe i just grew out an overly agressive one.

This is typical behavior for Festae. I learned to always have a divider handy. Nothing to worry about. You'll just have to play body guard to your female. I've had similar experiences and then once they spawn, the female turns and almost kills the male.. good luck

RampageRR

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
MD/VA/WV
www.youtube.com
I've been lucky so far and haven't had any issues with aggression. The only thing I've ever seen out of the pair is the female chasing the male away from the clay pot once the fry get to wiggler stage. She can be a little nippy for a day or two, but he's usually smart enough to stay away for the most part.

Not much fighting whatsoever in the tank at this point. It could very well change as they get larger, but I can't complain.

RampageRR

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
MD/VA/WV
www.youtube.com
New group of fry, I think the 4th now. This is probably the largest group yet! I had to move the last 35 or 40 fry from the last group into a separate tank to avoid any conflict, so these guys are alone with the parents for now. I'll move them into a 75 gallon once I sell the previous group off. Anyone want any fry? :)

RampageRR

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
MD/VA/WV
www.youtube.com
Haha thanks Beetlebug515 Beetlebug515 ! It's definitely a huge cloud. I'll try to get some video of them in the next couple of days. Pretty cool to watch.

Fluidsuit Fluidsuit your female is doing great btw! This pair does not fight whatsoever, and hopefully it stays that way forever. I've never seen any issues between them, only the two defending the cloud of fry from the silver dollars or syno cat getting too close.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store