New Filtration revision for 300 gallon Ray tank

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Lowes will cut the wood for you, I just built a 600 plywood and had them cut all the plywood. I am just about finished so hopefully in a week I will start a thread going through my entire build
I am low on money right now but will get to building a tank soon. Just finishing up my filter build right now. It will be my prototype for my big future tank. Here are some pictures.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
terror27 terror27 Manny C. Manny C. UnstoppableJayD UnstoppableJayD shookONES shookONES Charney Charney :D what do you think?

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Filter build is now complete! Now i just have to buy some tubing and buy another overflow box and have it all channel into the white bucket up top. currently have the sump running just running air through the new k1. nothing running back into the tank yet. i currently have water from my ray tank that has the ammonia of .5-1 in it. with the air running it should do some sort of good though it'll only be for a few days till it starts getting hooked up to my tank. I am going to buy some pothos and make a small plant holder for some pothos to offset some of the nitrates. I am comfident and almost 100% sure the pothos will not eliminate the Nitrates, but if it could just remove even 5 ppm from the total before i do my 2 weekly water changes, it would be worth the cost!

Accprdomg tp K1 and UrauJoey, 100 Liters of k1 can filter 1 lbs of food a day, from my estimate, for 4 rays and a black arowana 2 tilapia fillets or 10 shrimp is about 1 lbs. To compensate for anymore bacteria needed i have over 60lbs of stagnant filter media (lava rock, ceramic media etc.) and pothos.

So far what i got -
120 Liters of K1 - 140$
1744 GPH Air pump - 75$
2 Barrels - 40$
4 in pipe - 8$
4 in pipe cap - 8$
4 in Union - 30$
40 lbs of Lava rock - 50$
Pothos - 10$

The rest of the filter media was from a long time ago so i dont know the pricing but this is pretty much all you need for this filter...

Total cost is about 360$ from what i spent. But the actual total will be around 450$ because of the pump to return the water. and w.e overflow and other misc. stuff you may need for it. Hope this helps out anyone who is interested in this build. I will post pictures and videos later on when the setup is done.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
I am currently making another one for a future 500+ gallon plywood tank. I will hook it up into a 180 gallon that is holding 2 of my motoro Rays and some random Fish. I will be doing pretty much the same exact build. I will be mostly depend onf lava rock as my filtration media as well as the k1 that is currently running on the tank. The 500 gallon will be where my 180 is. I May make it into a 3 drum filter if i have to. but as of now i do not see the need to do so. Hopefully all things go well! just need to save up some money and start buying the parts when they go on sale.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
I would carefully wash out that rectangle Kirkland detergent bucket... My uncle gave me few fish cuz his tank leaked so I setup a temp tank in my house than 1 by 1 fish die on me than I asked him if he washed the bucket good.. he said nope so just be very careful with using detergent bucks.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
I would carefully wash out that rectangle Kirkland detergent bucket... My uncle gave me few fish cuz his tank leaked so I setup a temp tank in my house than 1 by 1 fish die on me than I asked him if he washed the bucket good.. he said nope so just be very careful with using detergent bucks.
i washed them out well and soaked it in vinegar as well as did a good hot water rinse. they are good. Also the bottom of the bucket is hollow. there is no bottom of bucket. I replaced the bottom with lighting diffuser. Filtration went up 3 days ago. looks good. I will keep an eye out though. I need to find a way to cover to top to keep the water from splashing out.

No name

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Current stock -
4 Marbled Motoro Stingrays (2 female, 2 male at 22",18", 12" and 10" respectively)
1 Black arowana 26"

Couple reasons why i want to redo my filtration setup for my 300. I am going to upgrade to a 600 gallon soon and i am reading .25 ammonia that never seems to clear.

My current filtration set up -
1 55 gallon wet dry sump with a very poor drip tray. has 3(5 gallon) buckets worth of bioballs, 4 liters of seachem pond matrix, 2 liters of crap ebay ceramic media, and a large amount of ammonia chips that i replace every month. with a 2250 gallon ecoplus pump. I use filter floss for my mechanical filtration in the drip tray.
1 fx6
1 eheim 2217

This seems extremely small even for me so i'd like to redo it to make it more efficient and increase the bioload so i can easily transfer to the 600 when the time comes.

I plan on replacing the wet dry sump with 2 55 gallon drums. One will have a moving bed filter with about 60-100 Liters of K1 kaldness. the other will have the ceramic media and the heaters. I also plan on buying about 20-30 lbs of Lava rock to put at the bottom of the first drum for added filtration. If anyone has any tips for mechanical filtration for this kind of set up please let me know. i am having trouble planning out a mechanical filtration system for this!

I was thinking of maybe cutting out a notch on the top of the drum to fit a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in it. i would use filter floss in the 5 gallon bucket. if anyone has suggestions please let me know!
I would try quilt bedding. I use it in my tank now and seems to be a pretty good mechanical filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store