New green Terrors owner

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Do you have the big tank set-up yet? And how big are your terrors? If I were you I'd probably throw them all in the big tank (assuming the GT's are still Juvies) and let them grow together for bit, removing males as pairs form (if your goal is to wind up with a harem).

Reactions: terrorG

terrorG

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Do you have the big tank set-up yet? And how big are your terrors? If I were you I'd probably throw them all in the big tank (assuming the GT's are still Juvies) and let them grow together for bit, removing males as pairs form (if your goal is to wind up with a harem).
I have a 500 liter tank I stuck 5 juvs in and there all getting on now
5 juvs biggest is half a inch
1 adult male 5 inch
1 adult female 4.5 inches
Still one male in the other tank

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Is it a 6' tank?
Is your goal to end up with a harem, like Stanzzzz had?
Did I read correctly and some of your fish are wild caught?

terrorG

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Is it a 6' tank?
Is your goal to end up with a harem, like Stanzzzz had?
Did I read correctly and some of your fish are wild caught?
My male green terror the white fin one is wild caught all and all my juvs follow they are wild caught also ,my tank is 500 liter
The female is on other side of tank and occasionally visits no incident so far been this way for 2 hours so far I'm so happy my 5 juvs are wild caught they were 12 quid each and are also white

I'm getting rid of any male from the 5 juvs and keeping the female and other original female he paired with (tank breed gold)
I have no sand or light that arrives Wednesday lol

My tank is 5foot

Last edited:

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
I'd do what you're doing. I have no idea if it will work, but it's seems to be to be the best way of going about it.

Everything I've read about large, more aggressive cichlid species is it gets more tricky to add new fish once they're full grown.

My recent experience is limited to Severums, Chocolates, and assorted Geophagus. In those cases it was never tough introducing new fish... the only thing I haven't tried is another chocolate, and of all the species I keep currently, the chocolate is supposed to be the most aggressive to conspecifics.

Anyhow, I'm in the process of listing my current stock for sale locally so that I can try to get a nice harem of GT's!

It's pretty cool that you have wild caught GT's. I've read they are from Ecuador and it is supposedly extremely difficult to export wildlife from there. That would explain the $$$, or in your case the £££. (I am Canadian and have no idea what a quid is!!! I'll Google it!)

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
So I Googled it and 12 £ is equal to about $20 CDN.

That's dirt cheap for a wild caught fish where I live!

For reference, the captive bred, probably fish farm raised 5" GT's I was looking at yesterday we're listed at $90 CDN/each, or £54.

Now, I'm not going to pay that. I've found that prices in my area are negotiable so I'll make a lower offer to get 4 fish at once and see where it goes.

I may also try to offer some of my current stock in trade if I can't sell them privately.

terrorG

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
The juveniles are wild caught at 12 quid but the adult wild one was 30 justan was here when I bought it lol
I'm going for silver rivs over gold but as my riv has paired with a gold riv already

terrorG

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
I don't know if this should go under lesson learned but I want to warn every one
If your green Terrors breed and the eggs are infertile or even disappear like in my case do not remove the fish in anyway to another tank or at least not the same tank everything was going so well till the move and after moving the two to my new big tank the male tested chunks into the female.
I think this was due to moving the fish after day 3 of eggs which disapeared.
The only way to carm the male so he would leave the female alone was to put my 5 juvs green terrors in the tank which made him turn into some super dad keeping the juvs together and leaving the woman alone.
Here is a pic of my female in a 15 gallon or 60 liter hospital tank

IMG_20161226_161523.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store