New Jag from TUIC

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
aside from a few other good ideas, add 1 Tabespoon of salt for each 5 gallons of water and Stress Coat.

I agree about adding hide-spots, caves, etc and for every new tank mate make sure each fish has 2-3 hide-spaces so they don't fight over "which one is the best"

Caves and hidespaces only make things worse unless you do enough of them.......but when you do enough of them, things improve 10-fold

undert0e

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2016
I set up the three rocks to make him a cave and he just hangs out behind it not inside. I don't really like the look of PVC or clay pots. Any other good hiding spot ideas. I know overall health is more important that aesthetics and if i can't find something else I'll go with the pipes and pots.

aside from a few other good ideas, add 1 Tabespoon of salt for each 5 gallons of water and Stress Coat.
I use prime right now. What is the purpose of the salt? I have heard of using it to treat injuries, but does it help with stress aswell?

and I just want to thank all of you who chimed in. You guys rock!!

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I set up the three rocks to make him a cave and he just hangs out behind it not inside. I don't really like the look of PVC or clay pots. Any other good hiding spot ideas. I know overall health is more important that aesthetics and if i can't find something else I'll go with the pipes and pots.

I use prime right now. What is the purpose of the salt? I have heard of using it to treat injuries, but does it help with stress aswell?

and I just want to thank all of you who chimed in. You guys rock!!
salt is the oldest home-remedy in the fish trade - it does heal wounds, but it also fights infection, parasites, fungus, bacteria, STRESS, works as a laxative, improves slime coat, possibly stimulates appetite (unless that's just a result of a stressed fish relieving stress and gaining it's appetite back), and works as a preventative even IF none of those things are currently an issue

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
With some decor he will be begging for food in a few weeks or days, just don't get attached to how you decorate the tank, once settled in enough start hand feeding regularly as this will make you finned friend associate u with positive things

Reactions: justarn

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Another idea is 1 or 2 large pieces of flagstone. Lean one end up on top of a large rock so he can fit under the flagstone and hide under there. Maybe do that 2 or 3 times to make some ledges.

Get 4-5 manzanita limbs, just drop em in a pile in the corner of the tank, they like to swim around through those, show you how they can get in there and you can't.

Or, you can buy the biggest stump the tank can hold, one that sits up off the floor of the tank, so he can get under the stump.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
salt is the oldest home-remedy in the fish trade - it does heal wounds, but it also fights infection, parasites, fungus, bacteria, STRESS, works as a laxative, improves slime coat, possibly stimulates appetite (unless that's just a result of a stressed fish relieving stress and gaining it's appetite back), and works as a preventative even IF none of those things are currently an issue
NaCl works as a laxative?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Add some chunky large spanner barbs, they are brave and beasts at feeding time, Shoal of 6 plus. They won't need any hiding spots and will let him see there's no danger. Love my group. hopefully he perks up soon, looking forward to pics.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Its a jag, very hardy fish, no need for salts, just change the water, give him gravel to dig, a few things to swim around, and break to quality pellets.

Jags very easy to care for, change the water, do the tank maintenance and feed. He will be biting the vacuum tube and flaring at you soon enof.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store