Following this with great interest :popcorn:

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
Loulou;1892193; said:
Following this with great interest :popcorn:
Well, if seeing a large hole open up in the ground, very slowly, is your thing, welcome aboard ;)

To be honest, it's not the sort of thread where I'm planning on many updates unless I make some considerable progress one day, it'll be more likely a weekly update of the growing hole;) Comments, suggestions and questions will of course be answered. The fun will really begin when the hole is dug;)

As I'm posting anyway, I've almost filled a 4 ton skip with general crap that's been in the garden that needed clearing out, but I've left a bit of space for some more clay out of the hole, the patio isn't done, but that will be done on my next days off. In between
this block of work I'm planning on doing a hour or so in the morning before I go in. As it's all pick axe and shoveling out I'm not expecting on making much process this week.

The hole is twice as deep as it was yesterday and it should be twice as wide in a few days, then I can get in it to get the depth down to the correct level.

Loulou

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Mauritius Island, Indian Ocean
Yanbbrox;1893236; said:
Well, if seeing a large hole open up in the ground, very slowly, is your thing, welcome aboard ;)

To be honest, it's not the sort of thread where I'm planning on many updates unless I make some considerable progress one day, it'll be more likely a weekly update of the growing hole;) Comments, suggestions and questions will of course be answered. The fun will really begin when the hole is dug;)

As I'm posting anyway, I've almost filled a 4 ton skip with general crap that's been in the garden that needed clearing out, but I've left a bit of space for some more clay out of the hole, the patio isn't done, but that will be done on my next days off. In between
this block of work I'm planning on doing a hour or so in the morning before I go in. As it's all pick axe and shoveling out I'm not expecting on making much process this week.

The hole is twice as deep as it was yesterday and it should be twice as wide in a few days, then I can get in it to get the depth down to the correct level.
Post as many pictures as you can; with as many comments as you want. It's always very interesting to see a detailed building-up and hearing about the many ups and downs of a project :) Inspirational and instructive. :)

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
Loulou;1907438; said:
Post as many pictures as you can; with as many comments as you want. It's always very interesting to see a detailed building-up and hearing about the many ups and downs of a project :) Inspirational and instructive. :)
Ok then;)

First off here is an overview of the garden, the deck has been oiled today and it's clearing up nicely, that bit is staying. Mrs Y would be upset if I didn't include this as she painted it:
deck.jpg

You can see the old failed(fell into disrepair after failing) pond and stream under the deck also in that shot, it's all being ripped out and the new pond is going on the right hand side, the waterfall is hidden on the right but that's being ripped out as well. It still works btw, I tried it before everything started but now it leaks even more than before, having said that it is 4 years since it was last switched on;)

I'm now down the two foot mark and it's been extended so I can now get in and work my way down to the 4 foot goal but I've already encountered problems. The first is the clay, as expected it's really hard work, but the big problem that I'd forgot about from doing the old one is the water table, I've hit and passed it at about the one and a halve foot mark, this is fine now why it's dry but much further down mixed with heavy rain could be a real pain in the future. The clay around here will hold a lot of water, I really don't want to get myself in to the situation of having to pump out and dig from there, so as much as it's killing me I'm going to have to work and work during the summer months and get the liner in asap before the the later months or it may have to get finished next year, something I really don't want or need.

The good news is that the digging plan is working well, once hole one was down to 2 foot is was quickly extend to 3 times the size by collapsing the sides into hole one, even having to use the pick axe, the biggest problem is getting down to depth, that is the really hard bit.

Here's the hole:
hole2.jpg
hole3.jpg

I think I need to dig about 22 holes at the same size as hole one and twice as deep as it stands now:nilly::nilly:

and forget the 'we're going to need a bigger boat', I need a bigger skip;):

skip.jpg
I do however have the old pond to fill in so that should halp:)

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
8 bags of sand, 2.5 bags of cement all mixed by hand but at least the patio is halve way there, after thats done, it's hole digging all the way.

Yes I'm tired;)

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
mike dunagan;1911909; said:
love checking in on this... See someone else do all kinds of work too!
Glad I'm brightening up your day;) I'm guessing your 'working' when I'm posting;)

Here's the patio, hole bottom left so still on topic;) Had to do the lot 'by eye' due to the slabs having a contort:nilly::
patio.jpg

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
chris123;1914576; said:
nice German Shepard and good luck with "THE HOLE":nilly:
Thanks, I didn't even notice the dog in the window!

The patio is almost done now, only 5 left to lay, new skip arrives this weekend so the digging can once again start. I've done quite a bit today, as it's clay it compacts really well and therefore is perfect for leveling the ground up for the slabs. Pics later:)

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
About 1400 today it started to rain while I was in work, this went on and on a real heavy down pour, Unusual for it too be really heavy for more than 15 minutes, normally just showers. This continued until 2100, reports came in of roads flooding, being shut etc, came home to find the hole:
wet.jpg

Good weather forcast for the weekend, hopefully it should have dried out enough to start work on skip number 2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store