New Spotted Gar!

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Actually I agree with him as well, I had a Florida Gar in a 180 with two Peacock bass. Yes, the tank is large, but its not really that big. I think that Cichlids and Gars are fine together, I even have done that Florida Gar and Peacock Bass combo in the far past in a 120.
if you are saying your luck is a fact then I call it BS. Don't bring some thing that got a lot to do with luck and say it will happen.
any people in here keep saying that they kept gar with non recommended fish for a years or two with no problem. Then I tell you this, I brought 6 of my gars and put in a 110 gallon tank that have some pleco in it for a couple days due to the extreme cold condition that froze the pond of to 3'' of ice. Only in 3 days, my first gar jump out and die frozen with a belly that have been suck out to the scale. I immediately bought some 27 gallon plastic tank to make them into hospital tanks and keep them there until they can heal off completely. After 10 days which is yesterday, I lost my smallest gar that is 20 inches big(the first on that I lost was 22''). Right now 4 other gar seem to do a bit better but the worst one is my 24 inches male that also is my first gar I ever have. He has lost some scales on the bottom that leave his meat expose and my guess if thing go bad he is the next one to die.
People seem to never learn unless those thing happen to them and they paid a big price for keep doing the wrong thing.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Or you could just keep a divider handy...

Plecos are monsters to gars and bichirs, that i feel is much more dangerous then mixing it w/ pbass. At least w/ pbass your going to know immediatly if itll work or not. As far as my Orino acts lol, anything he doesnt like he constantly abuses. Had to rehome a couple other cichlids because of it. If theyre chill with something though it seems to stick. My pbass acts like my ropefish and bichirs arent even there, but god help the jewel cichlid that enters his zone

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
if you are saying your luck is a fact then I call it BS. Don't bring some thing that got a lot to do with luck and say it will happen.
any people in here keep saying that they kept gar with non recommended fish for a years or two with no problem. Then I tell you this, I brought 6 of my gars and put in a 110 gallon tank that have some pleco in it for a couple days due to the extreme cold condition that froze the pond of to 3'' of ice. Only in 3 days, my first gar jump out and die frozen with a belly that have been suck out to the scale. I immediately bought some 27 gallon plastic tank to make them into hospital tanks and keep them there until they can heal off completely. After 10 days which is yesterday, I lost my smallest gar that is 20 inches big(the first on that I lost was 22''). Right now 4 other gar seem to do a bit better but the worst one is my 24 inches male that also is my first gar I ever have. He has lost some scales on the bottom that leave his meat expose and my guess if thing go bad he is the next one to die.
People seem to never learn unless those thing happen to them and they paid a big price for keep doing the wrong thing.
My gar is with a silver arowana 3 oscars a pleco and a jaguar cichlid. What are you going to do? Call PETA? They are all fine. Sometimes it works sometimes it does not. There is no official rule book of fish keeping. I have seen a full grown pair of Red devils living peacefully with a school of neon tetras, what are you gonna do? Reply to this and say BS like you do to everyone else who does not agree with your opinion?

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
To the OP, he may only eat feeder fish... I would try to slowly ween him onto pellets... See if he eats frozen silversides!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Or you could just keep a divider handy...

Plecos are monsters to gars and bichirs, that i feel is much more dangerous then mixing it w/ pbass. At least w/ pbass your going to know immediatly if itll work or not. As far as my Orino acts lol, anything he doesnt like he constantly abuses. Had to rehome a couple other cichlids because of it. If theyre chill with something though it seems to stick. My pbass acts like my ropefish and bichirs arent even there, but god help the jewel cichlid that enters his zone

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
well, if it not because of the stupid weather lately then I would not have to deal with these situation while my hands are full and I'm barely hanging on with my life right now.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
My gar is with a silver arowana 3 oscars a pleco and a jaguar cichlid. What are you going to do? Call PETA? They are all fine. Sometimes it works sometimes it does not. There is no official rule book of fish keeping. I have seen a full grown pair of Red devils living peacefully with a school of neon tetras, what are you gonna do? Reply to this and say BS like you do to everyone else who does not agree with your opinion?
you don't have enough real life experience to talk about this as an opinion. And this is not my opinion but most of the people that have more gar keeping experience will say it is a not recommended thing to do.

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
People are confusing exceptions and rules.

The rules (general advise if you prefer) are created by people that study the species for decades, keeping hundreds of specimens (in this board, Solomon comes to mind, but there are many others); not by the ones that keep a couple of fish for a couple of months or years. When someone asks for advice, it whould be given based on the rules, not on the exceptions.

In this case, the rule is: gars don´t do well with cichlids; there are, however, exceptions where it works.
This is what should be said to someone that is starting with the species. Or, at least: "the general advise is... but in my case ..."

I am still a novice with gars; only keep the species for a year (+/-). Thankfully I received sound advise when I started so my group of gars is healthy and thriving

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
The purpose in me writing "I agree with him as well" immediately shows that I am stating an opinion not a fact. I don't really understand what you mean by you owning plecos with your gars since I was referring to gars with cichlids, are you stating you had poor luck with your gars? I have seen gars with Peacock Bass, just Peacock Bass, on numerous occasions. I truly believe that Peacock Bass and Gars can live together, but not necessarily in all circumstances.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
The purpose in me writing "I agree with him as well" immediately shows that I am stating an opinion not a fact. I don't really understand what you mean by you owning plecos with your gars since I was referring to gars with cichlids, are you stating you had poor luck with your gars? I have seen gars with Peacock Bass, just Peacock Bass, on numerous occasions. I truly believe that Peacock Bass and Gars can live together, but not necessarily in all circumstances.
I don't know how well you understand what I said but ... oh well... let say it's pretty much what "Joao M" said is what i meant to point out.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
I don't know how well you understand what I said but ... oh well... let say it's pretty much what "Joao M" said is what i meant to point out.
Yeah I guess my incidents have been exceptions, I was attempting to say the same thing also, in a way. Would you say that the cichlid of the gar would be killed in that scenario if they didn't get along?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store