New Spotted Gar!

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Yeah I guess my incidents have been exceptions, I was attempting to say the same thing also, in a way. Would you say that the cichlid of the gar would be killed in that scenario if they didn't get along?
if the gar can't eat the cichlid, the cichlid will usually try to attack the gar when it is big enough and got enough confidence.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
if the gar can't eat the cichlid, the cichlid will usually try to attack the gar when it is big enough and got enough confidence.
Kinda thinking that to, I am considering buying peacock bass with my tropicals but I think at the moment it's to risky. I'll wait until the gar gains a huge advantage of size over the bass before I buy them.

anurup

Feeder Fish
Mar 4, 2014
India
my alligator gar swimming fins are eaten by zebra convict wht shal i do and my gar is 10cm how to heal me can any1 help plz...

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
my alligator gar swimming fins are eaten by zebra convict wht shal i do and my gar is 10cm how to heal me can any1 help plz...
My gar just heals on its on with good water quality and I feel like food makes a difference but maybe not. First you need to separate the two species of fish and then I would give your gar a few days to show improvement of healing. In my opinion as long as the wound is clean and the gar has food it will heal on its on.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
thanx alot bro i hav seperated it but wil it heal
It should, I'm basing this off my own experience only. My tropical gars get their tail fins torn up sometimes but they all of their injuries have healed with a week.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Kinda thinking that to, I am considering buying peacock bass with my tropicals but I think at the moment it's to risky. I'll wait until the gar gains a huge advantage of size over the bass before I buy them.
err, you have tropical gar... they are the next after alligator gar for not mixing well with any fish, even with other gar as they usually kill for fun. Good luck!

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
err, you have tropical gar... they are the next after alligator gar for not mixing well with any fish, even with other gar as they usually kill for fun. Good luck!
Thanks, but I might have another exception because I purchased two shortnose gars which are 7 inches while my tropicals are both 11-12 inches and they haven't been touched fortunately. I actually had a tropical a while ago to and he didn't harm the koi, catfish, ray, bass, or vampire tetra I had with him... Maybe I'm just getting really lucky!

coflowerhornguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
denver co
I have my spotted gar in with oscar flowerhorn female's firemouths jd's veja pleco and no one messes with him he has teeth and bites them just today my smallest jd was messing around with my firemouth to close to the gar and lost some scales don't know but I call bs on rules I have had fish together for year's that people say I should not put together any way just my two cents but for food I use shrimp and tilapia and shrimp also put some pellets in the meat from time to time never could get my gar onto pellets alone and once or twice a month I give him and my oscar some feeders as treats its pretty cool to watch the gar hunt!
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store