New tank, need filtration advice, 4 drilled holes and overflow wall

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Barney came from a shop up in the Minneapolis area. He was sold as a Fang tooth but I knew it was mislabeled. I also knew he was something I had never seen before, nor had I seen anything that looked like him in pics online at the time. I still to this day have not seen another in captivity. Not saying they aren't out there, but they (Gymnothorax Prionodon) sure don't seem all too common.

I do know there is no way I could have the group of eels I have without having the ability to "grow out". Barney would have been eaten immediately as he was acquired much smaller then the rest of the group and was grown out in a separate tank attached to the same system as the rest. IF you're content with a single eel then great, but even a similar sized pair may take housing one in a grow out situation for a while. Especially if looking for a counterpart that Barney wouldn't eat.

We definitely all do things differently. I keep large eels and would not rely on a lil skimmer that would fit in a little sump. Ever seen what a skimmer does after a 2+lb feeding?
I saw one that was pretty large in a shop around here I didn't know of you picked it up or someone else.
I haven't seen a skimmer like that but with some luck I can get closer to the level you are on.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I hear you man, gonna clean it soon and things will be more clear.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Sorry for the derail. I thought Barney was a dragon.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Okay so drilled hole sizes are 1.75 and 1.5 inches. So with bulkheads that would mean 1.25 and 1 inch holes and piping. Are 2x 1.25 sized durso stand pipes enough to handle 2x 950 gph pumps, so 1900 gph, with about a 6 foot head? Can/should I go higher in pump strength?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Okay thanks, you are absolutely right it's for 1 inch and 3/4 unfortunately. Anyone know the max gph a durso stand pipe can handle or a calculator i can mess around with?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I can't help on this thread but I see all of the work you are putting in reinforcing your tanks, upgrading filters and sumps, making a major move in winter, and I just want to say good job and keep it up bro. We need more hobbyists like you.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
uploadfromtaptalk1425855242179.jpg

If it's a standard reef ready tank, you can do what my crazy ass did since the back glass usually isnt tempered.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Thanks a lot man. I'm an insurance adjuster by day and a Tae Kwon do instructor by night, philosophy major, still in school, I never worked with my hands at all till I moved out on my own at 19, and even then the first couple years were one big party so nothing serious ever got done. Now I love trying the whole DIY thing, especially with this, but I over compensate for my lack of natural talent/experience with planning, research, and way way way too many questions. Thankfully 90% of people here are real helpful, so thanks! I just want to do right by my pets in the end, wet or otherwise.

Sent from my SM-T320 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store