New tank, need filtration advice, 4 drilled holes and overflow wall

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Yes awesome link! From what I am reading, 2 950 at a 6' head should work with 2 1" pipes, only thing is the teeth on the weir, but that can be adjusted. I think I'm going to go ahead and get another 950 and try it out, may be the best way to find the answer, work around it after that if anything.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
BTW, if I have to go herbie/beananimal I wouldn't be using my bio tower, so what would I use as bio media for the 2-3 week period that this is FW?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Don't mean to triple post, but the bulkhead for the return is for 3/4" pipe. Mag drive pumps are supposed to use 1.5". I can rig it so 1.5" goes to the bulkhead, and after the bulkhead, but there will always be that bottle neck. Is it work making the pipe bigger before and after, or stick with the 3/4"? Anyone know how badly perfomance is affected with smaller piping? Thanks.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I think you're doing the right thing with 2 mag 9.5s. Especially if you're ok paying the electricity bill. I love my magdrives, they seem to have fallen out of favor for more efficient options, but they are tough well built pumps.

If it were my tank I'd run the returns over the rim and use all the holes for drains.

I don't know how bad he 3/4" bottleneck will effect flow, I'm guessing not too bad, try dry fitting it with some extra pvc and see how it works.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Mag 9 using 1.5"??? Thought I had a mag 12 and it was only 3/4"?

I second returns up over the edge of the tank and all overflow holes = drains.

Why would the drain configuration eliminate the bio tower?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
If you look at the manual for the mag drive pumps they say from 7 on i believe to use 1.5" tubing, but you're right even the 18's come with 3/4" mpt. What I will do is see if it will only work with the 2 drains, and if no dice, I'll go through the back and for sure I'll be fine, just a preference not to. And ask for why I couldn't use a bio tower, i am just learning this herbie and bean animal setup thing now, but wouldn't the drains need to be submerged a couple inches? Meaning it wouldn't be able to trickle down the wet/dry by tower because then there would be no siphon? I'm just learning it now, not spending too much time cuz I'm hoping the durso hold up, but if they don't after testing then I'll either herbie or make all 4 drains.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Good read man. I may go herbie after all, a couple things up in the air. Found a good rubbermaid to fit, but someone is selling a 75 gal sump i think would be good so maybe I'll snag that. If I do I will use a bio tower for freshwater and probably herbie it when it comes to sw. Well have to see, I'm in the supply gathering stage.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
If i do go herbie, do you guys have a recommendation on brand, micron rating, and type of filter socks to use? I have never used em before.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Just by way of update, I am going to be using a 75 gallon sump for this tank that I am picking up tomorrow. Plumbing is still up in the air at this point, but I am picking up another mag drive 9.5 this sunday as well. Ordered a 3600 gph powerhead, should be coming in today. Hopefully by next weekend the bulkhead fittings will come in and I can plumb this thing and see if the standpipes hold up to the flow. The standpipes are the AGA megaflow kit ones that are adjustable, I take it for flood/greater drain purposes I should adjust the height to pretty much as high as I can? If anyone wants to chime in about filter socks for my situation that would be cool too, I think the way the sump is baffled may be difficult to work a trickle tower with mechanical filtration into, that will be my first challenge on the FW side of things I feel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store