Newbie at this sump thing. Need help with design.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Here's how I start with a bulkhead. after drilling.

You can use an up turned elbow, or a screen, it's all personal preference.

a screen can be attached to an up turned elbow, if threaded

sometimes these can be a bit noisy, I have found placing a PVC cap over the screen cap, can help cut down the sound

I have a number of tanks that drain into each other, before entering a sump

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
i like the elbow method i belive. i would like to have the water all the way up to hide the waterline. i read that your drain tube should be around twice the size as your return line. so i would use a 1.5 inch drain pipe and a 3/4in return line. could i split two smaller overflows on either end of the tank with the return in the middle. so instead of using a single 1.5in i would use two 3/4in overflows with a single 3/4 in return. I think i would like to go with the herbie style plumbing. I like the idea if having redundancy. i guess that is the aviation mech in me lol.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I nrver thought redundant pipes was necessary as far as concern for one getting clogged. What kind of fish can get past whatever type of screen or teeth to clog a pipe?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
From what I have seen with the herbie system, if the power were to go out, and the primary standpipe loses siphon, that backup will help the tank from overflowing until the primary pipe siphon is regained. As for the pipe sizes, I'm thinking on using a 3/4 in return and 1.5inch drain pipes. Do you think this is adiquate?

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
1.5" has always worked for me, smaller drains have been problematic.
If something as small as a dead juvie fish or 1/2" pond snail gets jammed into a 1" pipe, plant debris catches and builds up, trapping a little more every day like a beaver dam, and soon there can be an overflow. I have tried smaller pipe bore years back, and these events predictions come from experience.
With a herbie this is unlikely, and a screen makes it less likely (screens must periodically cleaned though)
I have one screen that needs cleaning, minimum, weekly.
I also brush out return line elbows and exercise valves periodically, as snails will often get wedged in and cause influent slow downs/back ups.

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
Ok th that sounds good to me. 1.5in it is. Also. I am looking at pumps, I am now debating between a eheim 1260 and a 1262. What do you guys think?

uploadfromtaptalk1415895325076.jpg

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I would recommend some type of a mini stand pipe or something to cut down on noise. If you just have a pipe inside the tank it will suck loads of air into it and gurgle loudly. You can build it like this off the bottom or off the side. Use you need to plan for the space you need for it. The benefit is you will have a silent tank. As you can see its a vertical pipe with a T then a elbow pointing down with a strainer and on top of the T you place a cap and drill a very small hole in it to allot air to go in and not create the gurgle. End up with a silent tank which is always very nice

uploadfromtaptalk1415895735459.jpg

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
I would recommend some type of a mini stand pipe or something to cut down on noise. If you just have a pipe inside the tank it will suck loads of air into it and gurgle loudly. You can build it like this off the bottom or off the side. Use you need to plan for the space you need for it. The benefit is you will have a silent tank. As you can see its a vertical pipe with a T then a elbow pointing down with a strainer and on top of the T you place a cap and drill a very small hole in it to allot air to go in and not create the gurgle. End up with a silent tank which is always very nice

View attachment 1047033

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App
That is Basicly how the herbie system works. The main pipe runs completely underwater with full siphon.the emergency pipe is always above the water and is only used if the tank gets too full

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
Ok that sounds good to me. 1.5in it is. Also. I am looking at pumps, I am now debating between a eheim 1260 and a 1262. What do you guys think?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store