Newbie at this sump thing. Need help with design.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I want that bullet proof system. The thing that has been pushing me away from sumps for this long is the fact that they can overflow and cause a huge mess. It looks like the bean animal is similar it just has a primary and emergency and an apocalypse pipes. Again I like the idea of no possible way it can overflow. I need that below in the sump too. I also was leaning tward the pads but just wanted to see what people thought about socks. Maybe using them together would be good. Use the pads as the first one then the bags to polish the water before going into the bio matrix. What are some thoughts on the eheim pumps. I'm going twards the 1260. I think the 1262 may be a little to much.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I don't understand what your overflow pipes are going to get clogged with. Massive neon tetra die off? A bunch of 5" fish block the teeth? I have never read about overflows getting clogged and causing a flood. I am much more concerned about a meteor hitting my house. I have never even had one slow down from plant debris or algae buildup. In the real world I consider it to be a COMPLETE non issue. Recently a friend had a massive die off in a 240. I went to clean up the mess when his daughter called. Carnage as far as the eye can see. No clogs.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Mag pumps are garbage for the cost and power usage they require. Again I'll say it look into a Rio pump on Amazon.com and then look at your mag pump. Compare power usage and initial cost then look at how much each pump will cost you 1 year 2 years and 3 years down the road.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
Kevin, funny you should mention that. I have a 1200gph Rio running at 60 watts and a spare 145w mag 18 that I was thinking about replacing the Rio with. The Rio doesn't like to start on its own after it loses power briefly but the wattage difference makes it hard to justify switching pumps

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Mr Allgood, an older Magdrive will get stuck as well. I used to beat mine with a hammer to get them going. Once the cavity that the impeller starts to get some wear, and it will eventually, it sticks.

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
i think that i may have severely overestimated pipe size for the overflow. i was gonna use 1.5 inch. i think that may be over kill. im looking at changing that to 1in overflow pipes.

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
ok i am stuck. i found the 1.5 inch pipe i was gonna use for my overflow and it is huge lol. there is no way that i need that big of pipe for a 55g. the reason i decided in the 1.5in pipe, is a video demo that i found on youtube in plumbing pipe size. i think that a 1in pipe will be plenty for this application. it flows with 48gph less tahtn the pump i plan on using but with head height and valves that restrict the line more than 48 gph according to the manufacturers flow curve. therefore, i should be ok with using a 1in overflow with a 3/4in return pipe due to the max flow of the pump cant outflow my overflow pipes. and that isnt to say that i cant dial down my return pump as well. here is the video that i watched.[video=youtube;IhqPbV4SyBw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhqPbV4SyBw[/video]

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
also check this thing out. i thought it was pretty sweet that it was clear so you can inspect it and get out blockages before its too late.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store