Octopus Part Two: Got a Tank!

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Any ideas for a CUC that the octopus wont eat? I bought four teeny tiny blue legged hermits last night, Im down to none. I figured theyd be too small to be worth his effort, guess not.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
JD7.62;5126229; said:
Any ideas for a CUC that the octopus wont eat? I bought four teeny tiny blue legged hermits last night, Im down to none. I figured theyd be too small to be worth his effort, guess not.
Get used to it. With an octo, this is going to never stop happening. They are curious lil buggers, and need stuff to play with, along with food that keeps them thinking.

Its like keeping triggers, plan on buying at least 400 hermits a year. :D

lnelms2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 27, 2008
Miamisburg, Ohio
He looks like a Vulgaris, I'm not sure where you got him but if he indeed is a vulgaris you'll need at least 125g, with a SECURE lid and things to keep him occupied. (fishing lures/bobs, ping pong or billiards balls, etc.)

I just got my 135 not to long ago and once I get rid of the BBG in it I'm getting a Vulgaris for myself. Can't wait.

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
You may be right. I told my wife and she said she wants a bigger tank to keep him. Its not worth it for an animal that lives 2 years or less so I suppose when it outgrows the tank it will be let go.

Here is a cool video I made of him, watch the whole thing cause at 45 seconds or so you can see how aggressive he is. Ive kept dozens of piranhas and stingrays and I never thought twice about putting my hand in their tanks, not so with this little devil!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRLsSEi3R9g

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
That is a pretty sweet video. Cool to see him so active...it would be neat to watch him tinker with stuff. Having a dedicated tank might be neat, but it isnt something that I am interested in enough to set one up for the short life span of the animal...I also couldnt afford it at the time being. :D

That being said I will be watching eagerly for developments from the two of you. :D

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Well I went on a little netting trip/water change trip.

I brought back some cool creatures. Some intented for food like the regular shrimp and a couple small really cool gobies and one colorful killi fish that I would hope he wouldnt eat. I also brought back a few quarter sized crabs, several small hermits, snails and some really cool colorful shrimp and two pistol shrimp.

So I get home and start doing a water change in hopes he would be startled and wouldnt eat the fish that I wanted to keep and give then time to hide and for him to eat the shrimp and crabs.

I was wrong. Even with a siphon in the tank all at once and Im not kidding at all, he caught two large shrimp, two crabs, one gobie and the killi and has been munching on them ever since!

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Oregon, it's part of 'Murica!
JD7.62;5130463; said:
Well I went on a little netting trip/water change trip.

I brought back some cool creatures. Some intented for food like the regular shrimp and a couple small really cool gobies and one colorful killi fish that I would hope he wouldnt eat. I also brought back a few quarter sized crabs, several small hermits, snails and some really cool colorful shrimp and two pistol shrimp.

So I get home and start doing a water change in hopes he would be startled and wouldnt eat the fish that I wanted to keep and give then time to hide and for him to eat the shrimp and crabs.

I was wrong. Even with a siphon in the tank all at once and Im not kidding at all, he caught two large shrimp, two crabs, one gobie and the killi and has been munching on them ever since!
:ROFL: no video?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store