Octopus Part Two: Got a Tank!

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
I only have a few small hermits. He eats everything else. I guess its time for another netting trip to load up on hermts and shrimp.

I dont use a timer but I usually turn the lights on around 9AM and off around 11PM.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
I would be chill about the algae, you are going to have to get used to that look man...maybe you will have luck with more hermits, but I have a feeling that sooner or later everything is going to be on the chopping block.

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
You shldnt have any type of octopus in a 8gal.. even the o.merc the smallest type shld be kept in a 30gal. Please upgrade or plan on it sometime. And octopus only live for about 10 months. And your better off taking red plexi glass and putting it under your lights he will come out more often. Try to feed mainly unpreserved sea foods and the occasional treat of a crab or something but only maybe 2-5 times a month.

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
JD7.62;5132366; said:
Yeah it sucks.

I found a 150 gallon tall tank with 30 gallon sump on craigslist today for $100. If its still available after I get off work Im going to grab it for him. Maybe with a bigger tank I can add some bigger fish that he wont eat/kill for fun.
Not really octopus are better off in a species tank(they eat all other fish or just plain flat out kill them), and i didnt see this post before so good idea. But do you know what type he is? if he is a bimac he only needs a 55gal, but it depends on the type.

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
I also highly suggest giving him a toy like a floating toy or something they rlly like to play with them haha

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
fishy12;5158156; said:
I also highly suggest giving him a toy like a floating toy or something they rlly like to play with them haha
Ha he is living your dream right now man, more reason for you to finally get started on yours!

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
FLESHY;5159400; said:
Ha he is living your dream right now man, more reason for you to finally get started on yours!
I know... I am too haha I got my job working on a beef farm for now and am getting money n starting putting it together. Im doing a pair of o.mercs in my 40gal breeder i might try corals or just do a fowlr not sure... Both would greatly change lighting...

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
I feed the guy shrimp, crabs and fish a few times a week. Even with the lights on he will come out when I walk into the room, he knows Im his source of food. Last night we played tug o war with the magna float thing.

As of right now he is fine in the 8gal. If I cant upgrade I will let him go.

My wife took the camera to a Brett Michaels concert tonight but I will try an get pics some time this weekend.

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
Do you know what he is? He almost looks like a blue ring with all his spots i hope he isnt but again he kinda looks like a small bimac and from all the sexing things ive read i beleive its a girl. You sex the difference because males usually keep either the first left or first right leg close to their bodies because its how they transport sperm we beleive. So they dont want it bit off

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store