On the difficulty of correctly identifying your Goonch. (Bagarius)

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Absolutely!

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I put this together a few years ago. Can it be of use to the thread?

View attachment 895061

It does appear to do quite the fine job of illustrating the current understanding of the members of this genus! :cheers:

Phil, could you be so kind as to put that image into the OP after the 'current understanding' sentance but before the table with the blurb:

The members of the genus Bagarius based on the current understanding after Roberts (1983). Image courtesy of Planet Catfish and Oddball.

I fear that our current understanding of the genus may not be correct however, which is why this thread isn't one that is similar to the thread that I prepared for tigerfish. :(

On an unrelated note, here's the feedback I received from Dr. Ng after he reviewed this thread:

Dr. Ng said:
I'd say you did a pretty good job of summarizing the problem in your post...

wayne the pain

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2005
Manchester, UK
Great thread, and congrats to you for all hard work put into this. :thumbsup:

liontammer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2006
fish cave
i would love to get my hands on a suches but thay are hard to find from what i can tell and no money at the moment lol realy nice post

djaalix

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2011
Mahopac Falls, NY
Nice job buddy, thank you .... maybe we start taking trips to India and get to the bottom of this! :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Great thread, and congrats to you for all hard work put into this. :thumbsup:
My pleasure! This one was easily the hardest to compose of all of the 'about' threads I've done so far lol

i would love to get my hands on a suches but thay are hard to find from what i can tell and no money at the moment lol realy nice post
Yeah B. suchus is really nice. Interesting tidbit that I don't think made it into the article: they are by far the most piscivorous member of the genus. I would also love to get my hands on one!

Nice job buddy, thank you .... maybe we start taking trips to India and get to the bottom of this! :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
You know, you're not the first person to mention that to me. ;) Sometime way down the road from now when I'm working on my doctoral thesis, I'd like to try to revise Bagarius. That's a loooong way off though lol

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
are thai goonches bagarius bagarius? Jeff rapps had some thais and they look like the ones on the IDs Oddball posted.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
are thai goonches bagarius bagarius? Jeff rapps had some thais and they look like the ones on the IDs Oddball posted.
That remains to be seen. They're either rutilus or the dwarf species. Estarego8's is starting to get orange fins, but when Dr. Ng looked at pics of it, he said it looked like a dwarf to him. Based on what Dr. Ng said and the research I did to put this together, I'm personally inclined to think dwarf as well.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
That remains to be seen. They're either rutilus or the dwarf species. Estarego8's is starting to get orange fins, but when Dr. Ng looked at pics of it, he said it looked like a dwarf to him. Based on what Dr. Ng said and the research I did to put this together, I'm personally inclined to think dwarf as well.
that's exactly what I thought. Cuz esterego's thai looks exactly like the Bagarius Bagarius in Oddball's ID. So ester's IS a BB?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store