Operation Rescue Motoro (Disclaimer: Pictures May Be Considered Graphic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashleysomething

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2008
Maryland
reefman;2562506; said:
add some uncoated vitiman b1 tablets about 3 of them to the tub it will help them get eating and just good for them good luck with them
we took your advice and grabbed some uncoated vitamin b1 tablets. do we just throw them in there? or should we grind them up? they still don't seem to be eating. let us know, and thanks for the help!

ashleysomething

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2008
Maryland
FishDog;2562519; said:
Most wholesalers don't care about the fish they carry. They only want to keep them alive long enough to push them off onto someone else. I went to a wholesaler earlier this year and they had some really nice rays and some really bad rays. None even close to what you found. Your biggest challenge will be to get them to eat, if you can do that then they will probably live. When we got our flower in I got a motoro with it. They were in nasty shape with ammonia burns and lice. You could see all there bones. I threw ghost shimp in the tank and both of them ate the first day I got them. I couldn't believe it. Good luck to you both. I would definetly call the BBB of that area
it's very encouraging to hear that they both ate immediately. i'm really hoping we get some of that luck around here. things have been hectic since we've brought them home, seeing as it was completely spontaneous and such, ha. as soon as things start to calm down, i will be calling the bbb, local animal shelters for helpful contacts and contacting them directly. there should be no doubt about that. i'm still furious. i thought it'd wear off by now, but i feel like i'm on the brink of becoming some crazed stingray activist, or something. it's wild.

ashleysomething

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2008
Maryland
tonymofo;2562671; said:
You've done a great thing by saving those rays from the store. I hope they heal up soon. But now that they have made a little profit off those rays they will might get some more. I wonder is there anybody that you can report them to?????

Well Good luck with those rays and keep us udated with some pics!!!!
after i go back up there, i don't know that they will sell any more rays. i'll definitely be spouting off some things about the nature of business.

if he thinks someone would have bought those rays, he is insane. someone with no knowledge of stingrays wouldn't even have bitten at that bait. they looked like zombie rays. pieces of their flesh were floating around them, along with their own feces and uneaten worms. there was nothing that said, 'buy me' about what we saw in that filthy tank.

it baffles me to try and understand the logic of these fish store owners. how can someone not do research on their products? how do they not know how intelligent these creatures are? how do they not understand that when they take care of their stingrays that it's an all-around profitable sales approach. happy stingrays, happy customers, successful business. these people looked like they just stumbled out of the woods into a warehouse and got a hold of some acrylic boxes full of water.

stingrays are way too intelligent, fun, beautiful, interesting, innocent and helpless to ever be treated the way they were at this place.

deep breaths, ash. lol.
i'll definitely be posting updates on their recovery. :)

ashleysomething

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2008
Maryland
stingray94;2562687; said:
wow, you did a really nice thing trying to save those rays. Good luck with it and I hope they all pull through.

A few months back one of my rays had a cut on his forehead(never found out if it was from the heater or from him trying to jump out of the tank and slamming into the cover)-the cut was not nearly as severe as these rays are but I added extra prime to the water and in a few days it started scabbing over, then the scab fell off and now it just looks like a lighter patch of skin between his eyes. Have you been adding and prime to the water? salt? Good luck with them
we did 3 lbs of salt yesterday, and 1.5 more tonight.
great suggestion on the prime. because of your post we grabbed some today, and treated for 50 gallons. we'll see how that works out for us with posted updates. thanks for the advice!

ashleysomething

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2008
Maryland
BONSAI2;2563491; said:
i know wot thats like ive done the same thing to save a tea cup ray from a shop that didnt have a clue!. good luck shure thay will pull threw motoros are quite hard. get them eating and thay will recover quick if you can get live earth worms thats always a winner for ill and fussy eaters from my experance
yeah, they haven't been touching the black worms today. we'll throw in some super red worms and see how that works out for them. thanks for the tip.

hopefully the vitamin b1 that was suggested will help out with that, too. :redface:

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
ashleysomething;2564879; said:
yeah, they haven't been touching the black worms today. we'll throw in some super red worms and see how that works out for them. thanks for the tip.

hopefully the vitamin b1 that was suggested will help out with that, too. :redface:
All of my WC rays would not eat whole earthworms. I had to cut them up real small and then every other day cut them a little bigger until I got them up to a whole worm.

ceeej31

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
New England
you did a very good thing helping those rays, i hope they make it.
but on a side note i dont know how reliable that fishstore review website is, it seems like most of the reviews for stores that ive been to and thought were great are bad and vice versa

ashleysomething

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2008
Maryland
FishDog;2564905; said:
All of my WC rays would not eat whole earthworms. I had to cut them up real small and then every other day cut them a little bigger until I got them up to a whole worm.
you know, i was feeling a little regretful while i read this comment because i had already tossed whole super red worms in the rubbermaid. when i went in to grab them and chop them up, low and behold... all six to seven of them were gone! since then, they've eaten eight more! we hadn't even thrown in the vitamin b1 yet, lol. must've ended up with a secretly food-crazed batch, ha. apparently they really enjoy super reds. insane... haha. :nilly: :headbang2:nilly:

ashleysomething

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2008
Maryland
I just wanted to give an update of all the sickies that have currently taken over our bedroom, ha. We've had them for about 30 hours now.

Today, we purchased another FX5, a ton of bio media, Prime and Vitamin B1.

Treatment
55-gallon water change with:
1.5 lb salt
Prime, treated 55 gal
1 dose Prazi
1 dose Binox
3 tablets Vitamin B1
1 cap TurboStart (to get new fluval started)
Additional small dose Prime (to help with ammonia)

Stats
Temperature: 86 degrees
Ammonia Level: 0.25

Behavioral Changes
Slightly more active
Eating super red worms whole! (Unbelievable!)

However, we regret to inform that we lost a little boy last night: #5. We buried him in the backyard. It made me a little glad that Matt had me not name them just yet. It was very sad for us, but we feel so much better that it was here rather than that outrageously disgusting fish store, where he had no chance.

Also, thank you to everyone for the encouraging comments and all the advice. It's helped us out a lot, and we hope to hear more feedback. I know what we did will not always be a feasible endeavor, but I feel so good about four beautiful Motoro stingrays potentially avoiding becoming victims of such utter ignorance and neglect (which is pretty much the whoot sauce ;))

P.S. Matt has a five-gallon bucket picked out, already full to the brim with pot scrubbies (thanks zennzzo!), but is unsure of how to suspend it over the rubbermaid. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store