Ornate with common pleco

allaboutfish1996

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2012
memphis tn
Someone on another mfk forum is trying to sell me an ornate saying that it'd do fine with a common pleco. I have wanted a larger bichir but always heard that a common will suck the slime coat. He's telling me it won't but I would like a little reasurrence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
i have never put the two together...but if you look around on this forum you will find a lot of people who have lost bichirs to plecos...and you will also find people who keep them together without issue....

I personally don't think it is worth the risk....if i were you i would get rid of the pleco and go with the ornate :)

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
well you could get the ornate but almost right after I would look to rehome the pleco, or i just wouldn't get the ornate

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
I wish there was some way to know how many times someone has asked if bichirs are ok with plecos. Yes it will be fine, but ONLY if you keep an eye on your pleco because most of them suck slime coat off fish and can kill your bichir.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
good question i would say yes and ropefish would be even more susceptible since they are longer and have more space to be sucked

jay_leask

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2007
canada
i lost a 16" florida gar to a common pleco, they were fine for a long time(years) then all of a sudden....gone!

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
The only pleco I've ever heard being fine with any poly long term are bristlenose. I still wouldn't risk it though

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store