OXFAM: "100 richest people could end world poverty"

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Please tell me why someone can make 3.5$ mill an hour doing nothing except speculating is worth more to society that (i.e.:) the doctor or nurse that brought each of us screaming into this world? or the guys that bake the daily bread or clear away the garbage? I wonder which of them society could do without for longer?
Who said they are worth more? They simply have more money, doesnt mean they are better

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I think the important thing to take from Ed's post is that inequality in the world (and US) is growing...and that wealth is being concentrated in fewer and fewer people. To the point that a relatively few people hold a historically high proportion of the worlds wealth. And, without change, are going to hold a higher and higher proportion of it.

When wealth (power) becomes so concentrated, it's self-reinforcing in many cases: Money buys access and influence over policy. And this can be beneficial (in the case of, say, advocating for a benevolent cause)...or self-serving (in the case of, say, Too Big To Fail Banks ensuring that real regulatory oversight doesn't happen...or oil companies ensuring that tax loopholes remain and safer clean air standards don't become law). It's not a Democrat or Republican issue. It's an issue of money, power and influence. With over a BILLION dollars by each side spent directly and through Super PACs on the last election (and increasingly by Mega Donors), the impact of money on politics is becoming even worse.

Most people seem to think everything's OK. They got theirs, so F everyone else. Or are at least too busy watching the Kardachians or trying to make out one party or the other as the boogie man to do anything about it. Fortunately some of the mega rich are trying to work for progress. And lots of little people CAN make a difference.

China over the next decade is going to an interesting case study in the excesses of hyper growth / unregulated (crony) capitalism. Like our country at the turn of the 20th century (after the Gilded Age or Robber Barons and the like), China will be shaken by labor strife, corruption, environmental damage and other factors. If anyone is paying attention, China's neo-colonial activities in Africa and the Caribbean are in full swing. Deals with despots in Sudan? No problem...just give us your oil. Extract the (public) resources. Pay a few. And the populace suffers. I've seen that movie before. It doesn't end well. Although it's had a few sequels...

Matt

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
we all have seen that movie, Matt. And we all will see the sequels ( not only in China, but elsewhere, India comes to mind also ). It is a movie called Human Nature.

We are, for better or for worse, the top, the appex, predator and nothing is enough for Man.

I do not think, at the stage I am now, agewise, that it will change for the better. The younger generations already are permeated by this culture and, be they in Africa, be they stateside or in Europe or China, will develop along the same path.

I see no viable solution for the inequality. It is, more than inherent to any real political system ( not politica philosophy ), inherent to human nature.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
"100 richest people could end world poverty"

I just have one question, why should they?

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Democracy is the same, originally designed for a society of 5000 people.

Revolutions happen when the people have nothing left to lose.
In France, or Russia, or China, or Cuba, or anywhere else , those revolutions didn't happen out of a clear blue sky, they happened because of massive inequality. Similar levels of inequality are being approached now globally, now with plutocrats instead of aristocrats. Why should the final results be any different if the path is the same?
No David, these revolutions did not happen out of a clear sky. Neither did the ensuing regimens, that did nothing to improve the people's life.

They simply promoted the rise of another, predatory, class.

Democracy has many faults. But one has yet to invent a better system, imho, although even I get profoundly irritated with it, most of the time.:)

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
and please guys, let us discuss in "general terms". Above all, do not mix real politics in this thread ( mainly US ) so we can keep the philosophising going....

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I actually disagree, Miguel.

While there will always be inequality, it doesn't need to be as extreme as it has become. It HASN'T been this extreme, historically.

As the few take a larger percent of the whole, the majority are left with a smaller percentage.

Everyone else can either bicker over their smaller and smaller share of the pie. Point fingers. Blame. Hoard. Find scapegoats and rationalizations about why "those people" aren't worthy.

Or people can work together for the betterment of their communities. Volunteer. Help. Share. Get to know people different than you...and find that you're pretty much in the same boat... and have the same hopes and ambitions for ourselves, our families, or communities, etc.

What I'm describing isn't a government program but a conscious choice that each of us can make about our lives and how we live them. To get involved. To be informed (and not by organizations seeking to exploit or propagandize). To vote. To serve. To volunteer. Etc.

The strongest antidote for concentrated power is collective action!

Matt

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
China over the next decade is going to an interesting case study in the excesses of hyper growth / unregulated (crony) capitalism. Like our country at the turn of the 20th century (after the Gilded Age or Robber Barons and the like), China will be shaken by labor strife, corruption, environmental damage and other factors. If anyone is paying attention, China's neo-colonial activities in Africa and the Caribbean are in full swing. Deals with despots in Sudan? No problem...just give us your oil. Extract the (public) resources. Pay a few. And the populace suffers. I've seen that movie before. It doesn't end well. Although it's had a few sequels...

Matt
Yes and it is interesting what is going on in some of those countries.I have not heard much of activities in the Carribean though.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I know where you are coming from, Matt. It reminds me of the saying that the "ocean is a quantity of individual drops". And it is true. And one sees and observes that sociological movement in Europe and, I believe, in the western world at large.

But it isn't enough, and never will it be ( it is, per chance, my age ) because to get to that point you need to have had the minimums satisfied ( which we all, in the West, have had ). There are countless masses that are now starting to perceive what they feel they are entitled to, that are beginning to feel empowered.

And they will start by it. And they will be the new predators, and feel absolutely empowered for it. Only after tehy are satisfied ( a century ? ) will they start thinking alomg the lines you are thinking now ( but then tehere will be others at the beginning of the ladder )

It is non ending, human greed. Self perpetuating.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store