Petting/Loving My Alligator Gar

Spatula

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2009
Under your bed
Perun;3899788; said:
You might think it is all cute now. Just wait.
This could be the most priceless phrase yet :headbang2
I guess my dream of jumping into my natural pool with him and having him swim up to me so I can pet his snout like a dolphin is gonna seemed far fetched but trust me man, I'm working on it.

But at least I've got the next year or so under wrap. He's got a whole bedroom to himself so once he out grows the tank he's in I got a bigger one waiting and after that I can make an indoor pond pretty easy and I have renters insurance so I'm not worried. Once the house is done we can take it from there, but for now his growth rate has slowed tremendously so I figure I got another 4-6 months in this tank, then maybe another 8-10 months in the next tank (400gal) then the pond should hold him for at least 12 months or so which buys me about 2-3 years. Let me know whatcha think about my predicted timeline.

Also I've seen that pic of you with the bat in knee deep water or whatever, can you please post it here cause I lost it. :D

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Might be longer than 2-3 years before you really have to move the fish up. This will however depend on the fish and especially it's early year growth. Early growth is critical in gars. Effects of stunting can be reduced and altered but in general what happens the first year is what is going to give you an idea for the rest. By observation alone I'd think your fish should have a good few years before growing up to large. It has stabilized out as of now. You should expect large growth spurts with periods of very slow growth. You may notice this seasonally.

Spatula

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2009
Under your bed
When you say seasonally would be I wrong to assume that most growth spurts would happen in the summer due to warmer temps?

And what's up with the famous pic of you with bat and the Gar :D

Spatula

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2009
Under your bed
Spatula;3900011; said:
When you say seasonally would be I wrong to assume that most growth spurts would happen in the summer due to warmer temps?

And what's up with the famous pic of you with bat and the Gar :D

Perun...

Spatula

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2009
Under your bed
Quick Update....

Since my boy lets me pet him, I've been working on letting me lift him out of the tank for the last few weeks. The first few times he would come out just till when his snout was out then before I could clear the tank he would move a little which ment "put me back". Last night however I was able to grab him with 2 hands and slowly lift him all the way out the tank and gave him a kiss on his head :D The best part was he didn't panic at all and I was able to put him back without him moving or wiggling at all. Once I get him out a few more times without issue I'll film it and present it here for viewing :headbang2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store