Petting/Loving My Alligator Gar

sg1717

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
The O.C.
Spatula;4018114; said:
Quick Update....

Since my boy lets me pet him, I've been working on letting me lift him out of the tank for the last few weeks. The first few times he would come out just till when his snout was out then before I could clear the tank he would move a little which ment "put me back". Last night however I was able to grab him with 2 hands and slowly lift him all the way out the tank and gave him a kiss on his head :D The best part was he didn't panic at all and I was able to put him back without him moving or wiggling at all. Once I get him out a few more times without issue I'll film it and present it here for viewing :headbang2
Simply amazing!

m245

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2009
In the tank
can't wait to see the video. mines never let me touch them.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Spatula;4123726; said:
I've almost got it to where he lets me lift him all the way out of the tank for a bit, going to try and film it soon.
Why? what is the point anyhow? Seems like the only reason to do this is to show how you conquered the fish and put it under your will. You have no legitimate reason for training it and I doubt it is really being trained anyhow.. it just seems like a Me Man Me Conquer sort of thing. Really it confounds me on how some of the things you do you think are good for the fish or the fish somehow likes how your molesting it.

It is likely tolerating you at most and could care less for you..
Really why? I can not understand why you think this is just so cool..

Accept the fish for what it is and stop f-ing with it trying to make it something it is not. It does not love you or care for you, It does not want to be your friend. It will never be a water Dog...If you want a dog get one.. If you want a child then Get one.. A gar will never be either no matter how much you try to make it that way. Accept the fricking fish for what it is and stop messing with it. It deserves that respect.

dannyboiiii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2009
tonawanda,ny
Perun;3899788; said:
I have used a baseball bat as protection and to "Love" my fish away from me... You might think it is all cute now. Just wait. Equally the fish will let anyone do that if they are trained to it. Gars are not at all hard to train to do many things. I have a Florida that swims into a tube for measuring and I have station trained Longnosed and tropicals to equally separate out for feeding.

And yes the experts are disagreeing because we know the fish and are not just placing human emotions or ideas to them. We respect them for their own individual worth and do not need to make them human. I think we have been over this a few times...

But anyhow yes I'm very happy that you are doing very well with this fish. Your so far doing way better than most with Gators. Often times very few if any keep them over a year. Your dedication to the fish is admirable. I'm going to repeat again though "do not think this fish is acting in a way that is equal to what you know as a human" It is not..

but we accept dogs to act in a way as human......but then dogs bite, or dont bite..its all training,respect,dominance, and chance...
the biggest thing being dominace, for any animal that cant reason...
dominace is the main factor besides fear that wills an animals behavior....
and an alligator gar being a big dangerous animal its a dangerous game to play....
but ppl and some animals have that special connection sometimes... so i say go for it dude!!!!
just b carefull when hes as big as u in that pond, hell make u bleed

m245

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2009
In the tank
Perun;4125750; said:
It does not love you or care for you, It does not want to be your friend.
very true .. I think Spatula just wants to gain a better understanding of his gar's behavior.

to Spatula - be careful dude. My gator gar once mistook a fish net as food and snapped at it. The force travelled thru the shaft and shaked my whole body. I don't dare to put my hand near it's snout since then.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
dannyboiiii;4125765; said:
but we accept dogs to act in a way as human......but then dogs bite, or dont bite..its all training,respect,dominance, and chance...
the biggest thing being dominace, for any animal that cant reason...
dominace is the main factor besides fear that wills an animals behavior....
and an alligator gar being a big dangerous animal its a dangerous game to play....
but ppl and some animals have that special connection sometimes... so i say go for it dude!!!!
just b carefull when hes as big as u in that pond, hell make u bleed
I can't understand a word of this...

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
I can't imagine that constant handling does anything good for the slime coat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store