picking preds...

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
if im not mistaken i believe porcs get up to around 20 inches so ya thats too big for a 4 foot tank with tankmates, especially if the tankmate is a trigger of any kind.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
DavidSoleimani;4235213; said:
pshh you dont like kobe? your location says la, regardless your avatar is pretty funny

hmm i havent thought of that

feeding time would probably be awesome :D
I dont like your avatar either...maybe zfishies is a clippers fan. :D

I loved my niger trigger. He was a great pet, and their coloration is actually very beautiful as they get larger and its nuances becomes more apparent.

Groupers tend to be...ambush predators. They love structure, and if given enough spaces to live and hide in, will only come out for food. I had a spotted grouper named chuck-d (the lionfish in the tank was named flava-flav), and he ate from my hand. But he would dash out and steal food from my hand I was trying to feed to the lion. (yes, teaching a lion to hand-feed was probably a poor decision.)

So what Im saying is that they prefer to wait in hiding for food. Its what they do in the wild, its what they will try to do in your aquarium.

BigO6687

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2010
banana land
hmm sounds pretty cool but today at my eye doctor today and they got a hex tank

it was pretty nice, idk it was probably 60 gallons, maybe bigger and they had a ~6" porc puffer who wasnt shy at all and wouldn't stop following my finger :), a fairly shy 3" panther grouper, a ~7" or so blue hippo tang, a 3"-4" tomato or cinnamon clown, and a 6" foxface lo, and some grouper that was really cool and wasnt shy at all.. and when he yawned his mouth was ENORMOUS

I wanted to tell them how enormous the fish get, but they dont take care of it, someone services it for them

while i was there, i took some pics with the phone im using until i swith to tmobile but theyre really crappy
plus the puffer wouldnt stop moving and hogging the camera ;)

0624000945.jpg

0624001044.jpg

0624001044a.jpg

0624001045.jpg

0624001045a.jpg

0624001045b.jpg

0624001046.jpg

0624001046a.jpg

0624001047.jpg

0624001103.jpg

0624001104.jpg

0624001104a.jpg

BigO6687

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2010
banana land

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
another thing you have to keep in mind with a trigger is food consumption, they dont swallow food whole like a grouper or a lion, they inhale and exhale it across there teeth to chew it and make one hell of a mess, they love to dirty the water quick like, i would recommend small quick carnivorous fish that will dart around and eat the pieces that the trigger spits out and doesnt eat. that tank is ridiculously over stocked lol, hopefully whoever takes care of it and set it up has a plan for all those fish once they outgrow that tank, if its only a 60 like you think some of the fish already have at the sizes you stated.

BigO6687

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2010
banana land
perfect_prefect;4237450; said:
another thing you have to keep in mind with a trigger is food consumption, they dont swallow food whole like a grouper or a lion, they inhale and exhale it across there teeth to chew it and make one hell of a mess, they love to dirty the water quick like, i would recommend small quick carnivorous fish that will dart around and eat the pieces that the trigger spits out and doesnt eat. that tank is ridiculously over stocked lol, hopefully whoever takes care of it and set it up has a plan for all those fish once they outgrow that tank, if its only a 60 like you think some of the fish already have at the sizes you stated.

yeah maybe it was more though im not sure how to tell with a hex tank, but i havent heard of hex tanks larger than 60

and you're right about that and after looking around a bit on live aquaria, would cardinalfish fit the bill?

if so, then this will help me in my pitch to put the tank in the living room :D
when i was showing my mom the fish i planned on getting, she saw a picture of a cardinalfish while i was looking for eels, and she said she loved them so :headbang2

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Cardinalfish will most likely become "candyfish" with the tank mates you plan on keeping. A larger wrasse would most likely fit the bill better.

BigO6687

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2010
banana land
FLESHY;4237907; said:
Cardinalfish will most likely become "candyfish" with the tank mates you plan on keeping. A larger wrasse would most likely fit the bill better.
hah you're probably right.. what type of wrasse did you have in mind?

by the way, are there any pretty lil colorful fish quick enough to stay away from the preds.. thats what i need to do to convince my mom to let me put it in the living room

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Its not really speed man. Sooner or later that fish is going to go to sleep and the eel is going to bag him, and tag him.

Best bet is to put things in the tank that dont fit well inside their mouths. I cant make stocking suggestions for you, thats personal taste.

http://liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15

Wrasses are at the bottom of the page. Reef safe or not doesnt really matter in your setup. My favorite wrasse (one that will be going into my new 125g) is the mystery wrasse.

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
personally i would go with a few diff kinds of damsels in with the eels and if you decide to go with a trigger. they are cheap quick and can hold there own with much larger tankmates

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store