picking preds...

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Damsels do sleep...you seriously think that when you put a damsel in with an eel that its life wouldnt be on a timer?

Personally I would never stock an aquarium with fish that I KNEW were going to die sooner or later from predation unless they were intended as feeder fish. If you want to waste money using damsels as feeders. Go ahead.

kevinfleming21

Jurassic Aquatics
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Chandler, AZ
I would look into a Bumble Bee Grouper, they look amazing and from the ones I have delt with, not shy either. But, that's only my opinion

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
kevinfleming21;4239637; said:
I would look into a Bumble Bee Grouper, they look amazing and from the ones I have delt with, not shy either. But, that's only my opinion
Delt with?

You mean observed right?

Cause if you didn't know they reach up to 8ft 1000lbs in some cases, and would get no smaller than 5ft 400lbs in the home aquarium. Which makes them a horrible suggestion.

Damsels make great tank mates for anything (unless they are beating up the tankmate), and any animal can be trained to be with tank mates. Sometimes using techniques and other methods can help save the cost of meals made out of them. I had damsels in with my blue line, titan, clown, and queen triggers. Also with my smaller tesselata, and spotted moray. As well as mr green, although they where under the radar for him.

[YT]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eZnWQ0en1ZM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eZnWQ0en1ZM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT]

kevinfleming21

Jurassic Aquatics
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Chandler, AZ
TheCanuck;4239649; said:
Delt with?

You mean observed right?

Cause if you didn't know they reach up to 8ft 1000lbs in some cases, and would get no smaller than 5ft 400lbs in the home aquarium. Which makes them a horrible suggestion.

Damsels make great tank mates for anything (unless they are beating up the tankmate), and any animal can be trained to be with tank mates. Sometimes using techniques and other methods can help save the cost of meals made out of them. I had damsels in with my blue line, titan, clown, and queen triggers. Also with my smaller tesselata, and spotted moray. As well as mr green, although they where under the radar for him.

[YT]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eZnWQ0en1ZM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eZnWQ0en1ZM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT]

I was actually referring to the fact that he said Grouper were shy, and hence pointed out this species. No reason to be a turd about things.

BigO6687

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2010
banana land
lol alright guys no need to get this thread closed

btw thecanuck that tank is gorgeous

i was thinking of damsels when perfect_prefect gave me the suggestion for quick, carnivorous fish but most of them need veggies in their diet according to liveaquaria

so planned stock so far:

1 niger trigger

what type of eel is good looking with a really good personality

snowflakes are a bit common but im definetely no ruling them out, and g. tiles just seem kind of ehh to me and all lfs's around me that carry them carry them in full fresh

so an angler/frogfish is a definite no im guessing?

porc. puffer won't fit, so what other type of puffer could i get if i should even get one

im not asking you guys to stock it for me but i want suggestions as im still reaaally new to salt

thanks again for the help :)

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
kevinfleming21;4239945; said:
I was actually referring to the fact that he said Grouper were shy, and hence pointed out this species. No reason to be a turd about things.
Ah okay.

Sounded to me like you wanted him to purchase a BB grouper, maybe i just read it wrong. I just thought you might be unaware of the BB groupers growth rate, and unaware of the many other groupers that are not shy, and don't grow to the size of a cow.

DavidSoleimani- I would shoot for a 125 with the 72x18x24 deminsions.

You could go with many stocking lists but heres what i would choose out of

Toadfish/scorpionfish
eel
grouper
trigger
puffer
wrasse
lionfish
tangs larger
angels

there are a few others but this would be my general list if i had a 125...

I see no problem with a porc puffer either, as they tank many many years to reach 12 inches.

anglers are deff out of the question. But toadfish are much different and would do well in a predator tank. This is my orange toadfish.

BTW that 75 is to small for that eel is not mine. Mine has a 12ft race way :D

June 13, 2010 395.jpg

Chaitika

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
Back in action!
lilcorky04;4239877; said:
TheCanuck;4239649; said:
Delt with?

You mean observed right?

Suprise suprise you being a ***.
kevinfleming21;4240151; said:
lilcorky04;4239877; said:
Hahahaha NICE!
Abusive language, behaviour and trolling will not be tolerated on this site. I'd suggest that especially considering how new both of you are here that you tread very carefully when posting. Stick to the topic at hand, do not attack other members. Thanks.

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
orange toadfish is a great example of not seen very often preds. i have one in my aggro community, along with FOR FLESHY AN ALMOST 2 FOOT WHITEMOUTH THATS ALMOST AS BIG AROUND AS A BASEBALL BAT WITH TWO 3 TO 3 1/2" LUNARE WRASSES A 4" STRIPED SQUIRRELFISH AND AN ASSORTMENT OF OTHER SMALL FISH 3 OTHER EELS AND A GROUPER. so yes i would most def. say to keep the damsels with a moray, just supplement what they get to pick off with pellets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store