Possible broken back Gar, internal bleeding? Help!!

Staind260

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2013
Pittsburgh
Fix the tankmate situation, and the gar should be fine as long as it keeps eating & swimming on its own.

If you need to rehome any tankmates, then Aqua World or Elmer's might be able to help you out.
I am gonig to give Elmer's a call and see if they have any kind of advice. I awoke this morning and nothing has changed, still just floating in the corner. I haven't heard of Aqua world, where are they located? I'm about 25+ mins outside of Pittsburgh in Elizabeth PA. Only other places around which I wouldn't trust would be a Petco and a Petsmart.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
I am gonig to give Elmer's a call and see if they have any kind of advice. I awoke this morning and nothing has changed, still just floating in the corner. I haven't heard of Aqua world, where are they located? I'm about 25+ mins outside of Pittsburgh in Elizabeth PA. Only other places around which I wouldn't trust would be a Petco and a Petsmart.
Glad to hear it is ok. The bleeding happens when they dry out. Like cracked skin on your hand it should be fine. You've got the best advice already, all you need to do now is take care of the tank mates and keep the water clean. It will come around in due time. My big Florida has jumped several times. You should also look at how secure your top is. It got out once it can do it again. I have large rocks, plexiglass and duck tape holding my tank tops down. Also lower the water level. The farther it is from the top the harder it is for them to bail.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

msjinkzd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
pa
oddball pet is in Pitt- great store, you could call them and see if they are interested:
http://www.oddballpets.com/

There is also a really great club in Pitt- GPASI, their forums may be able to help you rehome, should you have difficulty:
http://www.gpasi.org/

I will back up what others said, keep the water quality perfect. The bruising is probably just that. Gars are tough as nails, give it time. Might keep the lights out/on very little and just let the fish try and recover.

CaymanMoon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
oddball pet is in Pitt- great store, you could call them and see if they are interested:

There is also a really great club in Pitt- GPASI, their forums may be able to help you rehome, should you have difficulty:

I will back up what others said, keep the water quality perfect. The bruising is probably just that. Gars are tough as nails, give it time. Might keep the lights out/on very little and just let the fish try and recover.
Oddballs is in the Baldwin/Brentwood area. They are great, knowledgeable and don't try to just sell you stuff. Elmers, eh. I bought my rays from elmers, and the sheer amount of misinformation I got is enough to make me not go there anymore.

Aqua world is on Ohio river Blvd. I haven't been there yet, but I call them occasionally.

Oddballs gets my vote, products are overpriced, but they know what they are talking about. I asked em a bunch of stuff the other day, and knowledgeable members here confirmed it all. First for me.

Sent from my HTC One X using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Staind260

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2013
Pittsburgh
Glad to hear it is ok. The bleeding happens when they dry out. Like cracked skin on your hand it should be fine. You've got the best advice already, all you need to do now is take care of the tank mates and keep the water clean. It will come around in due time. My big Florida has jumped several times. You should also look at how secure your top is. It got out once it can do it again. I have large rocks, plexiglass and duck tape holding my tank tops down. Also lower the water level. The farther it is from the top the harder it is for them to bail.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thanks for the info! And I already have a few bottles full of sand from Vacation sitting on top of the hoods, a big glass bowl, some rocks and heavy decor, so God forbid he ever tries again.

Staind260

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2013
Pittsburgh

Awesome, I will for sure check them out without a doubt. I have had the one side lights off for a day and a half now, where he hangs out.

Thank you!! :)

Oddballs is in the Baldwin/Brentwood area. They are great, knowledgeable and don't try to just sell you stuff. Elmers, eh. I bought my rays from elmers, and the sheer amount of misinformation I got is enough to make me not go there anymore.

Aqua world is on Ohio river Blvd. I haven't been there yet, but I call them occasionally.

Oddballs gets my vote, products are overpriced, but they know what they are talking about. I asked em a bunch of stuff the other day, and knowledgeable members here confirmed it all. First for me.

I've never heard of either but I will absolutely check it out right now..

I don't mind paying for something if I can actually trust what the staff says, and stand behind their stuff. Nice!

CaymanMoon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Awesome, I will for sure check them out without a doubt. I have had the one side lights off for a day and a half now, where he hangs out.

Thank you!! :)

I've never heard of either but I will absolutely check it out right now..

I don't mind paying for something if I can actually trust what the staff says, and stand behind their stuff. Nice!
It's hard to find...use a GPS lol. And don't be discouraged by the dismal interior. It's an awesome place with some super cool fish, although they do specialize in saltwater, they keep Fw as well.

msjinkzd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
pa
It's hard to find...use a GPS lol. And don't be discouraged by the dismal interior. It's an awesome place with some super cool fish, although they do specialize in saltwater, they keep Fw as well.

Actually, PAPAS (the planted club of pitt) meets there. They have some pretty killer fw stuff (at least the last time I was there) adn some great displays.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store