Possible broken back Gar, internal bleeding? Help!!

Staind260

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2013
Pittsburgh
Assuming that I've spoken a bit too soon..

Apparently I dont think he is going to make it, hes now snout down and breathing very heavy, and cannot swim much at all..it's looking fairly grim..

as of right now I dont have much hope for him, it's looking that bad :( Any suggestions anyone?
Do I leave him go and suffer, or maybe recover(doesnt seem much of a chance) Or what may be the most humane way to put him out of his misery and pain?..

Any other input would be appreciated..I thank you all.. :/

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
Clove oil. He will just go to sleep and not wake up. Make sure to keep him in it for sufficient time or he'll wake up and you'll have a fish flopping around on you again.

If he doesn't make it: sorry for your loss.

Staind260

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2013
Pittsburgh
Clove oil. He will just go to sleep and not wake up. Make sure to keep him in it for sufficient time or he'll wake up and you'll have a fish flopping around on you again.
The problem is is that I do not have any clove oil..and i have no way of obtaining any until tomorrow at some point after work, in which case I think he'd suffer the most through the night..

I guess the only other option is to stun him and kill it..which I can do but Id absolutely rather not, but I dont wanna see him suffer like this, id sure rather be put out of my misery than to be suffering a painful and agonizing death

Staind260

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2013
Pittsburgh
Well everyone..after believing he was going to survive and be okay, my thoughts quickly were overcome by what I saw when I got home today..He was snout down in the gravel, tail in the air and breathing very heavy. I tried to get him to breath a bit from the top of the tank with the help of a net, but he didn't want any parts of it. I monitored him for a couple of hours, until I realized that there wasn't anything left that could possibly be done to save him.

At least he isn't suffering anymore, and losing a pet in the manner that I had to, feels extremely terrible. I have learned quite a valuable lesson here today, and from now on will only have my African Cichlid tank set up..

Losing a pet always sucks super bad, but its even worse when he felt like a part of my family. I know hes not a pet you can take with you somewhere, or do activities with, but it sure feels like hell to have done what I just done.

Anyhow, to end this roller coaster of a thread, I appreciate very dearly everyones comments and input throughout the whole ordeal. There are a bunch of great people here and I appreciate everything you guys have said, taught me, and helped me relate with..An awesome board to be apart of, and I'll be sticking around for sure..

Again, thanks everyone.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Well everyone..after believing he was going to survive and be okay, my thoughts quickly were overcome by what I saw when I got home today..He was snout down in the gravel, tail in the air and breathing very heavy. I tried to get him to breath a bit from the top of the tank with the help of a net, but he didn't want any parts of it. I monitored him for a couple of hours, until I realized that there wasn't anything left that could possibly be done to save him.

At least he isn't suffering anymore, and losing a pet in the manner that I had to, feels extremely terrible. I have learned quite a valuable lesson here today, and from now on will only have my African Cichlid tank set up..

Losing a pet always sucks super bad, but its even worse when he felt like a part of my family. I know hes not a pet you can take with you somewhere, or do activities with, but it sure feels like hell to have done what I just done.

Anyhow, to end this roller coaster of a thread, I appreciate very dearly everyones comments and input throughout the whole ordeal. There are a bunch of great people here and I appreciate everything you guys have said, taught me, and helped me relate with..An awesome board to be apart of, and I'll be sticking around for sure..

Again, thanks everyone.
Sorry to here that.

I find it odd that it crashed. Could there have been something with the water? I have had them come out of my tank and go 6'+ to hard wood floors and make it. Maybe it got a secondary infection after being weakened from the jump. Normally after they get to the point you had it is smooth sailing on the road of recovery.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Staind260

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2013
Pittsburgh
Sorry to here that.

I find it odd that it crashed. Could there have been something with the water? I have had them come out of my tank and go 6'+ to hard wood floors and make it. Maybe it got a secondary infection after being weakened from the jump. Normally after they get to the point you had it is smooth sailing on the road of recovery.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thank you. It was extremely odd, I did a 1/4 water change, not too much, tested everything and all seemed perfect, and normal like it's always been. Nothing was out of the ordinary asides 2-3 feeders surviving through the day in the tank.. I can only assume that something internally happened, It really blows my mind..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store