Possible broken back Gar, internal bleeding? Help!!

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
Sorry about the gar, you should look into getting glass lids. Yeah they cost alittle more but look nicer and are heavy so your fish are less likely to get out.

Staind260

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2013
Pittsburgh
UPDATE!!!

He seems a lot more lively today, still hasn't eaten though, not sure why. I notice hes moving around a lot more and seems like he can stay between the top and bottom for a little bit before retreating back to the top again

i've attached some pictures to what seems to be something excreting from his back and sides towards the rear of the fish. What the hell is this? Slime coat coming back in? Looks way too thick, very very confused!!

What the H#!! is going on??

20130304_225037_HDR.jpg

20130304_225010.jpg

20130304_225020.jpg

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
That is the dryed slime coat I told you it would shed. It is good that it is coming back

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I agree.. as long as it's slaughing off.. and doesn't look like tufts of fuzz don't mess with it. If it starts getting discolored or his attitude changes i's possibly a secondary bacterial infection... the slime coat works for fish the same fashion our noses do for us... It protects the fishs body from foreign irritanst ect.. so hes more liekly to get sick, hence everyone saying keep the water as pristine as possible... but the fact the coat is shedding and he's doing well is very positive news.

and as for the internal bleeding... there really is nothing you can do if there is. THe best you can do besies taking him to a specialtiy Vet is what your doing giving him the best opportunity to heal.

msjinkzd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
pa
I would not worry about him eating yet, to be honest. They can go quite some time without food. glad to hear he is improving.Keep up wiht the frequent water changes and hopefully he will be feeling up to eating soon.

BYEBYE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2007
Stillwater
Looks like he is improving!

I live in the Midwest and during the winter my gar will go weeks without eating in the winter. The are prehistoric for a reason!

Staind260

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2013
Pittsburgh
Thank you everyone for the input!! I'll get some more pics up as he improves..

hes swimming a bit more now, and still hasnt eaten but im not too too worried yet..just glad hes doing better.

very thankful for everyone involved and helping me out with ideas, information, ect. There isnt much info out there on these fish asides from being here on the board, so appreciative of you guys!! thanks again everyone!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store