Predator Tank Questions

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
We have a teacup stingray, Jaguar Cichlid, Peacock Bass, Fire Eel, Black up-side down catfish, and an Arowana.
ehhh I feel like that tanks gonna have a few aggression issues at some point...not being rude just don't want to see any of the fish hurt or stressed.

I'd stick with a sand substrate and medium river rocks.

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
We have a teacup stingray, Jaguar Cichlid, Peacock Bass, Fire Eel, Black up-side down catfish, and an Arowana.
Uh...I certainly hope you don't think you can keep half of those in an 18" wide tank. I would lose the stingray, peacock bass, and arowana, possibly even the fire eel all get way too big for the 125. On the other thread people gave you some viable combos. Either way with most of the fish you could really use any rock that is not soluble. Also stay away from sharp rocks that fish could harm themselves if they would make a sudden movement in the tank.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Get rid of the PBass, ray, Aro, and the eel. You might just have luck with a jag and an Eupterus but most likely just the jaguar would remain due to territorial aggression. Has the tank already been cycled?

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
Yep, I did suggest 1 Jaguar for him in other thread, not sure how he came up with all that fishes :D (i didn't follow the other thread)

atown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2015
us
This is just a school project. Our teacher takes care of fish and has a lot of his own. When summer break comes around he'll take over for us until the next school year when most of us will be taking his class again for the fish. We have also already looked at how big the fish get. Once they get too big for the tank we will give them to someone willing to take them.

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
Have you guys explored treating your ray for parasites? I am assuming you bought a retic which is most likely going to be carrying parasites... I also don't see an form of dithers to break up any aggression? Also they seems like you are going to be having a high bio load and I'm curious if your filtration will be able to handle this stock because if not ammonia will also be an issue at some point...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
what is the project, Just curious? I understand you think once they get big enough that you'll just find them a new home. Thats much harder than you would think. IMO you shouldn't just buy fish and ignore there requirements and worry about the issues down the road. I cant speak for some of the fish you are planning on getting but I personally have a Silver arowana. Its grown to 10 inches in 8 months. These fish get big fast!

atown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2015
us
The project has two different parts. We have half the class doing a saltwater tank, while the other half is doing freshwater. Our job is to pick a tank that fits into the given area that our teacher has already discussed with someone else, pick the fish we want in it, figure out the filter and media, what kind of lights we want, the substrate, the decor, and all the supplies/food they will need. Those are the categories he has our paper set up. After we figure that out we take it to the board to be approved. Once it gets approved and the room is done and everything we ordered has come in we get to set up the tanks and run them. We are still looking up the temperature each fish needs and everything like that. A lot of the people don't know what to do with tanks like this, but where trying. We are suppose to work on this for environmental science for the rest of the school year.

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
It won't last for the rest of the year. Wouldn't it be better for a grade to show you can stock reasonably and make a tank actually work? Use Aqadvisor for a rough estimate on stocking compatibility.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

atown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2015
us
It really probably is better for a grade that way, but he was gonna do something like this anyway so he just had one class out of all the environmental sciences to do it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store