Predator Tank Questions

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
We do not have anything at the moment we are just planning.
Then I'd recommend a few medium sized fish that get 6-12" instead of tank busters. Lots of monsters that fit in that size tank, most Hoplias sps would work well.

Etan

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
CA
Good to hear you haven't ordered anything. If you want to succeed / cheat / get an A give us a budget we'll compile everything for you need and then it's up to you to cycle the tank.

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
Good to hear you haven't ordered anything. If you want to succeed / cheat / get an A give us a budget we'll compile everything for you need and then it's up to you to cycle the tank.
Agreed there are more years of experience then could ever be counted on this forum. I would also say just list us your budget and we will set you up as well as we possibly can! Then it's as simple as cycling the tank and making sure everything goes well!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Etan

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
CA
I really think that's the best plan. Especially when it comes to matching fish that will go together well from specific areas as well as proper filtration and doing things on a budget. The collective wealth of knowledge of this forum is massive.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy, and allow me to be the first to actually welcome you to this board.

I would like to apologize for the many rude (well-intended, but rude) posts above. I will make sure to clean this thread up for you, so that you can use it as a reference for your science class, rather than a case study for a psychology class.

You got a project assigned, came up with a proposal, and now you came to MFK to get feedback, which is great. Especially for your focus on predatory fish in a good size tank, there is no better source of knowledge on the web.

Let us inspire you. Obviously, a 125 gal tank has lots of potential. And while your project is limited in time, let's also plan ahead to build a predatory community that lasts for a while. Absolutely possible! I'd split it into two subprojects: Setup and stocking.

You've got a tank, you need a filter. Anything you're leaning towards? This also depends on your budget.

Now, let's talk fish. You already named a few, just elaborate on your decision-making, interests, preferences, and I am sure folks here will provide you with productive feedback and suggestions.

At the end, this is your project. But we're happy to have you visit our site and talk fish with you.

HarleyK

ktrom13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2014
massachusetts
Id say make a Central American biotope. Have lots or hard scape (rocks, pebbles, and driftwood) on one side of the tank leaving the other side open water. Attach some Java ferns and Anubias to the driftwood and rocks ( I know these plants don't fit into the biotope). Use pool filter sand as a substrate.

By a few convicts and grow them out. If a pair forms, keep the pair and sell the rest of the convicts. Let the pair breed to observe natural behaviors.

By some large mollies both male and female, quarantine them for a month or so to make sure they have no diseases and then introduce them to the tank.

This way you will see interaction between two separate species that co-exist in the same waters which sounds pretty sciency ( not really a word but it now should be) to me. Plus this would be cheap to do as both fish and material are easy to come by.

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Here are some fish ideas that are smaller but still aggressive: Oscars, Lima Shovelnose Catfish, Needle Nose Gar, banded leporinus, Pink tailed Chalceus, and Red Wolf fish.

As far as good websites to get info from Seriously fish and planet catfish are what I use. Liveaquaria might not be the most accurate but is a good website to look at many different fish.

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
Ya I am sorry if my post seemed a little rude but it absolutely was not intended as such! I would have loved to have an opportunity like this in my school butttttttt didn't hahaha.

Ok so there are certainly a lot of possibilities for a 125.

It seems like with the ops suggested stock that they are interested in a predator comm style tank? They seem to have wanted a lot of random predators that can happily co exist.

The biotope idea is actually a good idea in my opinion. You can create a very natural environment for your fish and potentially observe breeding which in my opinion would be very good for a school study!

However a predator comm tank is doable. We just simply have to select the appropriate fish for the tank. There are certainly a lot of smaller predators that can be housed together reaching a max of ten inches. This would still give you the aggression you seem to desire without the problem of achieving it with tank busters.

So advice for achieving a predator comm if that is what you are going to go with. Make sure that your fish are all relatively that same size because predators will readily try to eat one another which is less than desirable. Next you are going to need some fish known as dithers. All these fish do are break up the fights in the tank. They are basically referees. Fish like silver dollars would be good for this job. You can then look into fish like african knife fish, some of the different fresh water barracudas, some different species of catfish, and spotted perch. These fish will vary in size but will certainly make for an enjoyable tank.

Let us know your budget and what your group is looking to achieve and we can take it from there! Trust us we can make your tank work and be successful! Also what are your requirements? What is it that you are actually being graded on?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store