Pure Platinium Gar - What is the real value?

Simonson

Exodon
MFK Member
May 15, 2013
Canada
Still haven't seen an actual guess here, seeing as how it looks small (less than 10") I'd guess $5,000, if you let it reach 2 feet, $25,000...and that's entirely based on pulling random numbers out of a hat with no real textbook answer to base it on whatsoever..

Simonson

Exodon
MFK Member
May 15, 2013
Canada
Essentially, if I was a rich fish collector, and I had a few drinks in me, I'd offer ya $5,000 for it as is

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Still haven't seen an actual guess here, seeing as how it looks small (less than 10") I'd guess $5,000, if you let it reach 2 feet, $25,000...and that's entirely based on pulling random numbers out of a hat with no real textbook answer to base it on whatsoever..
the fish is 1.5' lol!

Simonson

Exodon
MFK Member
May 15, 2013
Canada
wow I missed the "45cm" part, I have no idea what to guess anymore, looking foreward to seeing what it's actually worth!

Energy

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Tropical Minnesota
I think that may be a "snow" Gar- matte finish versus shiny which is the trait of a platinum. Minor difference to most but to a true collector-it matters. That fish is on my list-but even I can't house it long term. A small individual would sell for $5,000 on a bargain, from there they go up to $15,000 or whatever a collector would pay. Never met or heard of anyone in the United States that would actually pull the trigger on this fish BUT in Japan....

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
imo part of that would be the shipping.. and if the seller wouldn't guarantee live arrival.. that's a lot of money to spend on a "might not make it" .. having just delt with picking up our big guys.. my nails would be bloody stumps by the time I went to pick it up from the airport.

imho I think the adult size brings down the price but I agree 5K is reasonable for a nice gar like that in the states. Not a lot of gar collectors... but those that are.. are as hardcore ime as the fw ray keepers. I'de pay double that if it was a florida.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
imo part of that would be the shipping.. and if the seller wouldn't guarantee live arrival.. that's a lot of money to spend on a "might not make it" .. having just delt with picking up our big guys.. my nails would be bloody stumps by the time I went to pick it up from the airport.

imho I think the adult size brings down the price but I agree 5K is reasonable for a nice gar like that in the states. Not a lot of gar collectors... but those that are.. are as hardcore ime as the fw ray keepers. I'de pay double that if it was a florida.
Agreed. Being a gator probably brings down the price, nontheless, awesome looking fish. I would never pay over 500 for a fish (maybe later in life) but from what i saw on other threads and what not id say around 5k

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin

Agreed. Being a gator probably brings down the price, nontheless, awesome looking fish. I would never pay over 500 for a fish (maybe later in life) but from what i saw on other threads and what not id say around 5k

Energy

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Tropical Minnesota
If this fish is actually for sale please let me know. I have been in the market for a long time for a real platinum.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store