Pure Platinium Gar - What is the real value?

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I actually agree w/ you 100% on preferring the native/wild color variants in tbh 99% of fish in general not just gar.. but under lighting kept in good conditions they do have a beautiful "rainbow" sheen to them that imo few fish can compete w/ even some of the flashier smaller species of cichlids and tetras. Probally why I keep gar... not cichlids ect...

I think more for curiosity sake it would be interesting if a few species where "white tanked" or "black tanked" doing a before/after pic and comparing them to the morphs would be interesting selfishly speaking more so then as a "teaching tool" but still a lot of people imo could learn from it as much as be intreagued by the way gar can shift their colors so amazingly.

I know my 2 trops being in a black pool has changed their coloration.. but intensified their back 1/2 markings. or because of the black background/dark color overall it appears to have intensified the white ect.

zfoster22

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2008
kansas city
Just by reading most of these comments I sense alot of jealousy and hate it's actually quite sad to see everyone knocking this beautiful fish. Top notch specimen I'd say!

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Just by reading most of these comments I sense alot of jealousy and hate it's actually quite sad to see everyone knocking this beautiful fish. Top notch specimen I'd say!
Dude, I could have one of these in a phone call If I cared to.. No real care to do so for reasons as stated above though. Definitely not Jealousy nor is it hate.. Really I would like to understand the allure of these things but I really fail to get it. They really are not that attractive IMHO and the prices placed on them for there artificial rarity is really not even reasonable.... it is just obscene... Kudo for you that would wish to spend thousands on a fish like this but I'm going to continually fail to understand just why..

zfoster22

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2008
kansas city
Never did I say I would ever spend any amount of bands on this, just stating I think it's pretty petty that over half of these comments have a negative connotation.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Maybe because 1/2 the people just don't see the attraction in them? to each his own.. which means some people aren't going to like them. Add to that this is a TRUE monster fish.. very very few can actually house them for life. Makes it less desirable to those of us that actually care about the longevity of our pets.

1) this is a fish that outside of special care doesn't breed in captivity.. so its value to a hobbyist is essentially nill.
2) It gets 4-6'+ most people can't house it.
3) they have a tendacy to eat everything and anything kept with them, so not an ideal community tank fish.

If you want to brag about an animal that cost you however many K and will live a short existence In your "giant" 300 gallon set-up ( if most of them are lucky) then this might be the fish for you.

Platinum or not, this is not a fish the majority of people should want to keep. It's not jealousy or hate.. but having more respect for it then a trophy.

And if you have the room/tank space desire ect.. More power to you I say. But just not my cup of tea for the above reasons.

zfoster22

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2008
kansas city
well if that's your basis of your arguement dont you think you should be posting that comment on a different thread maybe one of someone caring for his gator gar with poor husbandry. But I do believe dude asked a simple question about price range, but only gets comments on it like you and everyone else posted.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
well if that's your basis of your arguement dont you think you should be posting that comment on a different thread maybe one of someone caring for his gator gar withpoor husbandry. But I do believe dude asked a simple question about price range, but only gets comments on it like you and everyone else posted.
Reality.... It is not seriously worth as much as what some pay for these. That is all plain and simple. You want to pay or think that for some reason it is worth 30K go ahead and pay that. Me I see the real value (Which is the OP's question) at about 100$ US.. That is it as is it worth no more to me.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Never did I say I would ever spend any amount of bands on this, just stating I think it's pretty petty that over half of these comments have a negative connotation.
See above and read well.... also not specifically pointing you out it is a general statement.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
calling us "petty" and "negative" for saying we wouldn't pay tons of money for someone elses fish IS answering the OPs question. "real value" is what your willing to pay for something.. there is no blue book for fish... its what you can get someone else to pay for it. Just because I explained my reasoning for not paying much imo is far more valuable to the op then just tossing out a random number.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store