Pure Platinium Gar - What is the real value?

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
you know what I have herd of people paying $5000 for gold color ones but that is an albino one so I would say some one might spend $1.500 to $2.000 butt not me

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
less than I'd pay for a ST.. or a RTG.. or a big IT.. or a 24" cuban/florida/shortnose.. uhm.. that translates into "not enough".. haha..

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
100$ sounds reasonable.. Frankly I do not get all excited over color morphs of gars. Also I do not always trust that the fish is sold as what it is. There are techniques to make even a regular Florida or gator to look like that. Look up the white tank method. This has been used to dupe quite a few people out of their hard earned money. Give me two weeks and a regular Gator and I'll show you the fish pictured.. I may just do that with one of mine to prove the point.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
100$ sounds reasonable.. Frankly I do not get all excited over color morphs of gars. Also I do not always trust that the fish is sold as what it is. There are techniques to make even a regular Florida or gator to look like that. Look up the white tank method. This has been used to dupe quite a few people out of their hard earned money. Give me two weeks and a regular Gator and I'll show you the fish pictured.. I may just do that with one of mine to prove the point.
Update? lol dooo it! would make an interesting thread of doing this w/ fish to show a true plat ect next to a pic of one "white methoded" help people buy these fish more reliably.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Update? lol dooo it! would make an interesting thread of doing this w/ fish to show a true plat ect next to a pic of one "white methoded" help people buy these fish more reliably.
I may just do that when I have a bit more time to spend on it. Right now am a bit more concerned with regular gar and what is going on with them on a conservation level. That and Keeping my collection strong and going. Those being duped by fraudulent people are little on the list of concerns.. Buyer must always be aware when you care to go into color morphs of things. Frankly I still just do not get the draw to them and why people would spend stupid amounts of money on them. 9 out of 10 they just look plain and boring to me. Sure they might be white or all orange in color but put one side by side with a natural fish in it's real colors and the natural form of the wild fish wins out in my opinion 100% of the time. It is a subtle beauty in a rainbow of color not a flashy beauty in a solid hue that gets me excited about a fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store