Pure Superspot Motoro - Anybody bred them?

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
it was locally bred and got it from Sydney (Im in Brisbane). It should be a superspot motoro. I don't have a background on where it originate or details of the parents. I lost contact of the guy ive bought it from, but I paid a premium for this being a superspot.

There are only a few species available here - leo, mantilla and motoro that i'm aware of, unless somebody got them through the "back door". All the rest are expensive and the most common and affordable are the motoros.

I have the female for about 3years now and spots didn't fade. I don't have anything to compare it with as what i can see are regular motoros like my male. For now, I'll just settle for it as a superspot.

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
I'm inclined to agree with Matt (Calgary).
As soon as I saw it I was thinking exactly the same, my guess would be Falkneri\ Castexi x Motoro.
The spotting on these Super spots seems to fade as they grow, the spots appear lighter than the main spots also before finally disappearing in most cases. The spots on this large specimen are very bold,even the smaller ones, never have I seen this in the super spot morph. I could be wrong as I'm fully aware of the different variations found within this species.

Do you know the origin of this ray litigator666.....ie captive bred\ wild caught?

Very nice ray by the way!
I'm seeing falkneri in that blood as well (based on the spot pattern).
:iagree: Still a great looking ray! Hope they mate for you.

andersp90

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Denmark
I'm inclined to agree with Matt (Calgary).
I disagree to some extent. :)

It is somewhat common for Peruvian motoros to show some extra spotting. Some even look like the ray in OP's post (pretty sure I can find some examples from Raul and alex - will take a look).

Furthermore, it seems that most peruvian motoros have the "super spot" pattern. But it only shows when the animal/s is placed in a very bright tank (fx White).

You will find tons of info/examples of that here: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?146664-my-superspot-rays/page4

(example)

Also, former member AlexG, did alot of crossbreeding with peruvian motoros and falkneris. I do not remember any of them looking like OP's ray.

Just my 2 cent. :)

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I disagree to some extent. :)

It is somewhat common for Peruvian motoros to show some extra spotting. Some even look like the ray in OP's post (pretty sure I can find some examples from Raul and alex - will take a look).

Furthermore, it seems that most peruvian motoros have the "super spot" pattern. But it only shows when the animal/s is placed in a very bright tank (fx White).

You will find tons of info/examples of that here: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?146664-my-superspot-rays/page4

(example)

Also, former member AlexG, did alot of crossbreeding with peruvian motoros and falkneris. I do not remember any of them looking like OP's ray.

Just my 2 cent. :)
I have to agree with Aquaman and Calgary on it being a hybrid. Let me dig up a few pictures of the hybrid super spots from Thailand and Tawain. Anders try to dig up those photos and we can compare.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
either way, it's a beautiful ray. Good luck finding a male

andersp90

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Denmark
I have to agree with Aquaman and Calgary on it being a hybrid. Let me dig up a few pictures of the hybrid super spots from Thailand and Tawain. Anders try to dig up those photos and we can compare.
I'm not claming that it isn't a hybrid. :)

But it could possibly be offspring of a peruvian motoro pair. :)

Like this guy (will also have a look in the "archives" later tonight).

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I'm not claming that it isn't a hybrid. :)

But it could possibly be offspring of a peruvian motoro pair. :)

Like this guy (will also have a look in the "archives" later tonight).

Sounds good. I think a new thread would be in order. I know that you have a good collection of pictures and it might be worth throwing a new thread together. Between the 2 of us I would say we could put a decent collection of both pure and wild caught super spots for people to see the differences.

andersp90

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Denmark
Sounds good. I think a new thread would be in order. I know that you have a good collection of pictures and it might be worth throwing a new thread together. Between the 2 of us I would say we could put a decent collection of both pure and wild caught super spots for people to see the differences.
"In Thailand, many peruvian motoros develop a marbled pattern or star pattern when they grow up."

You might also want to take a look at the thread I linked to (the quote is from that thread). :)

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
"In Thailand, many peruvian motoros develop a marbled pattern or star pattern when they grow up."

You might also want to take a look at the thread I linked to (the quote is from that thread). :)
I looked at that thread back when I picked mine up from Thailand. Check your PM.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store