Purple wolf fish info

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I just went through some of the ops threads. He does ask a lot of what would seem to be a lot of redundant questions. However this site is here to help educate hobbiest of all levels. Everyone here as the option to offer information or not. IMO posting links to other sites or telling a fellow member to "Google" something is not really what we are here for. People come here for the great and varied knowledge base MFK is known for. Having said that the op can also search threads within MFK and then ask questions pertaining to the info gathered or form his/her own opinion. There are no stupid questions when you are starting out but there are plenty of stupid answers to go around.

CaptainS

Banned
Dec 14, 2014
Bay Area
Thanks to the people on here who tried to help. So far I found out that a lima shovlenose catfish and purple wolf fish/red wolf fish work but jack dempsey wont but will a red wolf or purple work with a clown knife,tiger oscar, leopard pleco, bichir and nicuaragua cichlid sorry if this question is stupid or annoying I tried emailing the hopilas web but it wouldnt send becauese they are no longer active so I couldnt email them and the aquarium store owners have no clue about red wolf fish and what they mix with.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
The links already provided answer your question. For instance hoplias.webs states that they are for the most part peaceful except toward conspecifics, territorial threats or anything that might seem like prey to them due to size. You should be able to deduce that if you've been told they're incompatible with JD's and hoplias.webs says not to put them with a territorial threat an Oscar or Nic may pose the same issues and therefore be incompatible. Clown Knives as long as they are of appropriate size should be fine but a pleco or bichir may unintentionally be perceived as territorial threats so it would be up to you if you want to try cohabbing them.

As for emailing hoplias.webs there is no way to do so, as such you are misrepresenting your efforts in finding info. The creator of hoplias.webs is a active member here and I imagine he wouldn't appreciate you stating his site is inactive or not up to date especially since your claiming so falsely. Realize this is part of the frustration some of the members have with you and why you're getting some of the responses you're getting. You ask questions and then ignore info. supplied to you and so ask the same questions over and over again in different forms or ask a question whose answer should be obvious if you used any kind of basic deduction. Again I site you asking about the Nic and Oscar. If the wolf shouldn't be placed with a territorial threat why mention other territorial threats and ask if they're compatible? Think about it, how many fish species there are available to the hobby and how many questions you'd have to pose in just this one thread if you choose not to use any kind of logical deduction but instead ask to be handfed the answers. We don't mind helping but you also have to help yourself.

Reactions: Eric70

CaptainS

Banned
Dec 14, 2014
Bay Area
Ya your right I CaptainS vow to start helping my myself more and trying to help others as best I can but I may occasionally ask a question but not a stupid question and you are right the purple wolf fish/erythrinus sp peru might not work with some of the fish or I will have to be cautious while mixing some with the wolf fish like the oscar i would be very cautious indeed but I would rather have a red wolf fish anyways I was just curious about the purple one because I saw one at the aquarium store. Anyways thanks again koltsixx for the words of wisdom.

peru

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
michigan
Don't put more than one in a tank they love to fight until they break out with a fungus that kills them both. But a very nice looking fish when the reddish orange blotches show up.image.jpg

image.jpg

IndyTexy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
Plainfield Indiana
Don't put more than one in a tank they love to fight until they break out with a fungus that kills them both. But a very nice looking fish when the reddish orange blotches show up.View attachment 1058987

Some incorrect info being assed around here they can live together in groups .. I have had a group of 4 together for years. Also they can cohabitate with some more peaceful SA cichlids

CaptainS

Banned
Dec 14, 2014
Bay Area
are nicuargua cichlids peaceful or semi aggressive Becauese it said online on one site they said they were a peacfull cichlid and the other site said they were semi aggressive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store