Question why do people feal the need to use the word retard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
how is saying retard, g@y, phat, no homo etc etc the same as calling someone the n word because you're white? all of those have completely different meanings then calling someone the n word......or am i too slow to realize that the n word has a double meaning?

WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
Heres my last post atleast ima try to keep it my last post.
I think the word words retard retarded shouldnt be alowed to be used and should be treated the same as if someone uses a racial slur curse word or is just plain ignorant. i cant use refernce or quotes or specifics coments that i or others have used because i would be openly challenging mods decissions. But i feal it should be treated same way other words or coments are when there inopropriate or just ignorant comon uses.

WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
and yeah my spelling sucks buy me a comp with spellcheck and i will use it . lol

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
how is saying retard, g@y, phat, no homo etc etc the same as calling someone the n word because you're white? all of those have completely different meanings then calling someone the n word......or am i too slow to realize that the n word has a double meaning?
Ok, i used a bad analogy.
What I mean to say is that it is offensive to some people so why use it knowing that.

If I did offend anyone with that statement I am sorry, it was an analogy gone wrong.

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
So some people find the word "fat" to be insulting... are you gonna stop using it???

I use the word retard... it has nothing to do with NOT experiencing this kind of thing in my life.. it's just a word for me..
Probably... I can use overweight, big, heavy, etc... Retard is no longer just a word. It's a medical term.

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Think about this, when was the last time you heard "retarded" used to describe someone with a mental disability? It'd piss me off way more hearing someone with a mental handicap being called retarded than someone being called retarded, if they're just acting damn retarded :ROFL:

Edit: Derr, didn't read the whole thread. In the context of being used towards someone with a physical condition it's flat out wrong. But in everyday use... it's just a word.

Gene0514

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2008
Staten Island, NY
Well you have to consider that if one lives in the US, the constitution would allow them to say anything they want to so trying to stop them would be taking away their rights.
Also, words have different meanings when used in different contexts

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
and yeah my spelling sucks buy me a comp with spellcheck and i will use it . lol
hey, you know i respect you and everything you're going through with your son but someone calling your son retarded isn't even slang, that's just flat out being vindictive. way different then me saying did you see that X movie? it's retarded. don't waste your money.

personally i'd kick someone's arse for calling my disabled kid retarded....but i would not care if someone dropped it in a slang term meaning stupid or lame. i've heard g@y people say that's g@y or flaming etc etc so i don't see how this is any different.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Hmmm.....well I use the word "special" in the same context as many people use the word "retard". If used in a derogatory manner, is it any better? In my view, it rolls right in with moron, imbecile, and idiot. Not sure anyone should be offended. I'm sure if I had a special needs sibling and someone directly called him a retard, i would be quite upset. Though the same would be if ya called my overweight sibling fat. Not going to get upset over either if I hear some "normal" person being called such.

klutch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
gonzales, Louisiana
I agree with the people that say it's just a slang. I say retarded on a daily basis, I call people retards on a daily basis. I am semi-close to several "special" people. I personally would not EVER call someone a retard if they were mentally challenged. I have more respect for people than that. BUT, if I see a guy at work doing something stupid. I will surely call him a retard, if i see a guy flying down the road on a street bike on one wheel at 100+mph, i will call him a retard. if I'm wrong for that then I apologize to u sir. If I ever seen/heard someone call a special needs person a retard... That would be fighting words:irked:

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store