RC 540 Gallon CA Community Build

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Filling it up. This'll take a while. Miller time.
Filling.jpg

Filling.jpg

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Yesterday, I drilled a 3/4 hole in the side of my sump to be an overflow for my Auto Water Changer. I was stressing about breaking the sump, messing up the hole, drilling into something so expensive, etc. I finally just did it, and it was literally nothing--easier than drilling a hole in wood. Drilling acrylic's nothing.

With that done, I started filling the tank, and after a VERY long time, it finally went over the weir and filled the overflows. Glad I'm putting the Auto Water Changer, cause I don't every want to do a 50% WC on this tank.
Full Tank.JPG

So I guessed at a water level to fill the sump to, turned on the pumps, and hoped for the best. The fish gods were pleased--no leaks, no overflow on the carpet, no PVC joints burst open, nothin but net as they say. :) So here's the final pic of the sump.

Sump Finished.JPG

So everything was running right, except for the hellacious amount of noise. It was like a couple waterfalls, a washing machine, and a constant toilet flushing--all at once. So I started playing around with the gate valve, and the outlets above the filter socks, and I got it down to a very quiet trickle sound. (more on that later). Herbie's with the gate valve are COMPLETELY quiet. Especially after I got the water level in the sump high enough to cover the outlet pipes over the filter socks. If those are underwater--much quieter--I didn't know that (first sump I've ever had, you know). This morning, I bought 2 Jaeger 250 Watt heaters and plugged them into a Finnex heater controller I've never used, stuck those in the sump. I figure I'll have 78 degree tank water tomorrow

So what's left? 1) Irrigation head and chloramine filter for the auto water changer. 2) Loc-line nozzles for the returns 3) Wash 400 pounds of PFS for a substrate 4) Wash all the Manzanita I got in last month. 5) Buy a bunch of Jungle Valisneria 6) Hang some lights from the ceiling over the tank 7) mount all the electrical gadgetry to the wall, up off the floor.

Full Tank.JPG

Sump Finished.JPG

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Now--about that quiet trickle I still have. Here's what's wierd. The tank is level, both the main Herbie drains are 3-4 inches below the backup drains, and both Herbie drains are tied together into a Tee and then a single gate valve. But....the water level in the overflow towers is different? How can that be? What's causing the trickle sound is water coming thru the weir and falling an inch or so to the lower water level behind the overflow.

Here's a pic of the left overflow water level..
Left Overflow.JPG

And here's the water level in the right overflow...

Right Overflow.JPG

The water coming into the left overflow falls over an inch, and it's kinda noisy. The water in the right overflow falls maybe a half inch, and it's quieter. But why are the 2 levels different? Only thing I can figure is the height of the standpipe on the main herbie drain is different in each overflow? I cut them both the same length, and checked to be sure they were the same length before I installed them. Either way, I'll have to raise the height on one, or both, standpipes to lessen the length that water falls to make it quieter. I'm waiting on 2 inch strainers to get in first as they'll add a little height to the standpipe when they're installed....

Left Overflow.JPG

Right Overflow.JPG

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
When the pipe is installed in the bulkhead sometimes the pipe doesn't seat all the way flush. I noticed that my pipes were off from dry fit/mock up to when I glued them. Even if the pipes are the exact same length it is extremely easy to have on .5" deeper into a bulkhead than the other side. You can measure the overall height of the standpipe to confirm.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
I'm curious to see how using loc-line will effect your flow.

I was thinking about using it on my setup at one point, but since the largest I was able to find was 3/4", I decided it would restrict flow more than I'd like so I ended up not using it.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Sean--yep. I think this all revolves around different stand pipe lengths. I can't get a good measurement rite now cause of light/not enough hands/etc. I hammer one in deeper, etc/know what I mean.

Al--hard to say. New tank,I have no baseline to compare to. But, once I get all my fittings, I WILL be able to compare my current setup (open 1.5 pipe for temp/test) to the loc-line thingamajib I make up. I'll draw it all up and post it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
But, I'll say this--I set the gate valve as quiet as it'll get, walk away from it for a few, come back and it's dead quiet. "Nothing good happens fast in a fish tank". I think it takes getting used to-- I've never had overflows, a sump, a big tank, none of that.

I'll figure it out. If it never gets quieter than it is right now, it's still quieter than my 125 with the Eheims on it in the dining room.

4,000 -- 4800 GPH and it could run quieter--amazing.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Al--

I have 1.5 returns, I figure if I reduce to 3/4, and then put 3 nozzles, it'll be good?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I added wood and fish today. Woods floating, fish look washed out in the greenish water, and the local pool store (and Lowe's) is outta that nice, coarse, off white sand I like so much.

That's ok though. Fish are swimming around in the tank--life is good.

And to top it off, a bar opened right around the corner that has Weihenstephaner on tap. Life is really good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store