reticulated stingrays

all_or_nothin

Eastern Painted Turtle
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
IN
im special ordering from atlantis aquatic gardens he gets them from like florida and ok bout the beef heart... so is there anything to supplement there diet with and what type of frozen food would be good?

Vincentii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2009
London, U.K
diet is as straight forward. mussel meat, bloodworm (rays love grazing on them) dead fish and prawns/shrimps - frozen from supermarket. live once every 2 weeks as a treat.

Vincentii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2009
London, U.K
sand of a natural color. black would be nice. no green terror though. they may start picking at rays soft skin.

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
Vincentii;3751363; said:
you again. lol! their not hard at all. some people on here just say they are hard to make themselves sound superior. rc's just need good water quality.
Vincentii;3751462; said:
diet is as straight forward. mussel meat, bloodworm (rays love grazing on them) dead fish and prawns/shrimps - frozen from supermarket. live once every 2 weeks as a treat.
Have you even kept rays before? Top reasons why retics are hard:
1. they're the cheapest, so they're shipped with more in one bag than others, causing build up of ammonia, that sort of stuff
2. Most of the time they come in sick, bad condition, if not half dead already
3. One of the hardest ones to get eating if they are fresh imports
4. Like haychinook said, hard to convert to other foods
People dont "say its hard to make themselves sound superior"
You're going to need alot more than just clean water to keep them alive. Your straight forward diet is pretty messed up. Live food as a treat? The last thing you should even mention is live food...parasite infested, thiaminase rich, food. Great treat. Optimal diet for newly imported; bloodworms, chopped night crawlers, ghost shrimp, and if possible blackworms (best choice from what I've heard but its nearly impossible to get here so I dont bother). Everything else you're going to have to wean your ray into, especially for retics, its not an easy task. Eventually you'll want to wean it on pellets. For more info on sand, do a quick search using the forum search tool. Theres quite a few threads on substrate that works, and substrate that doesnt, not just "natural looking sand". Also, take a look at the stickies on the top of the forums, they contain quite a bit of useful info if you're a new ray keeper.

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
gshock is right but since you do have access to black worms you should have them on hand and ready as after you try everything else blackworms is what will usually get them going. but if you are lucky they will eat something else sooner just remember cut it up very small as there mouths are small.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
jeffers;3751833; said:
gshock is right but since you do have access to black worms you should have them on hand and ready as after you try everything else blackworms is what will usually get them going. but if you are lucky they will eat something else sooner just remember cut it up very small as there mouths are small.
My retic was eating blood worms when i picked him up. The way i converted was to soak what ever i wanted to feed the retic in the the blood worm juice and then feed it. Worked, but it took me a year to do it.

OP, once you find out what the fish store/ supplier is feeding the retic, go from there. I always like to see the fish eat in person when i buy fish.

all_or_nothin

Eastern Painted Turtle
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
IN
thanks everyone and to gshock
1 im special ordering so one in the bag so im good on that one
2 ill have to wait and see
3 idk he said they would be from someone out of florida
and about the live food i would be feeding home bred ghost shrimp so i think i would be ok on that and thanks everyone... and keep putting you imput in!

fishfreak2009

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2009
Michigan
I bought a baby male retic about 3 weeks ago. He absolutely adores the panfish bait worms, blackworms, and ghost shrimp. He does not bother anything that swims mid-water (my 6 angelfish). He loves uprooting the plants in the corner.

all_or_nothin

Eastern Painted Turtle
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
IN
ok so im thinking of getting those turle dock thinks and putting it under water and putting maybe a ccave on it for some like small cichlids would that be good? and i found some kribnesis cichlids the i think ill put with them i got a pair male and female and they are absolutly awsome !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store