River Monsters - Mysterious photo...

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
snow;5029259; said:
I am watching conan right now. Just started where I live. Can't wait to see him on in about 20mins.
it's pretty hilarious...you gotta pay attention to Conan's reactions to Wade's stories--
--solomon

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
"Judging by the beam in the background, we can be certain that this gar is over ten feet long!"

But more seriously, aside from the fact that it's not A. spatula and that the photo itself seems kind of fake for some reason (maybe just touch-ups though) I am not sure what is supposed to stand out.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Looks like a croc III. Snout is far too long for a gator, and he was fishing in the trinity where the croc III's are supposed to be found in the wild.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
The Eyes?

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Spiritofthesoul;5029475; said:
The Eyes?
They're just missing, at least one anyways, probably from scavengers or decomposition. Finding a dead fish on shore with its eyes still there is more rare.

tnaylorj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dover, Delaware
I've seen this pic before, it's been floating on the internet for quite some time before River Monsters ever aired. I've always perceived it as a decaying Longnose Gar. What makes everyone think it is some sort of hybrid?

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
tnaylorj;5029520; said:
I've seen this pic before, it's been floating on the internet for quite some time before River Monsters ever aired. I've always perceived it as a decaying Longnose Gar. What makes everyone think it is some sort of hybrid?
To me it looks more like a hybrid than a longnose.

The overall head shape looks similar to some of the hybrids seen here http://www.texasfishingguides.org/kirkland/page_garfish_hybrid.htm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store