River Monsters - Mysterious photo...

HarlanAshmore

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2008
Melbourne Ausralia
i dunno anything about gars but i do know that its quite small im studying depth cues atm and it really like 1' probably

HarlanAshmore

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2008
Melbourne Ausralia
i also think that its not even there and its photoshopped in

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
Not s clue other than it doesn't look like a gator and looks photoshopped?

Steve

Raetak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
Florida, USA
Not a gator gar first off. Second, A green screen was clearly in play here, look at how the fish is positioned and how the substrate in the picture is.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
ok i will pare things down a bit...my question is about the unusual nature of the fish itself, not about the special fx used in creating the shot (we know that just about every site and most photographers/editors in mainstream media production do it). --
--solomon

ROCKY-101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2010
warren,michigan
the scales look weird to me lol and the back end of the body looks diff

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
I've not dissembled a gar before, but those bones look too big for a fish, even a bony one like a gar, and it almost looks like there is a skull of a mammal sitting in the foreground of the fishes body. Plus the bones seem curved almost at a right angle, whereas a gar is an elongated fish. So either the bones are of a different corpse or the gar ate something big and possibly died from it.

Or gar bones just look totally different than I've seen online and I am over thinking it (or those are sticks sitting on the dead gar and I am mistaking them for bones).. haha.

The scales do look weird but I am assuming they are just popping up from decomposition and exposure to the elements.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
good eye michael, i had not even paid much attention to the rest of the fish before...i am concentrating on the skull...there are some very good theories so far :)

that being said, the one big bone, which appears to be a vertebra, definitely looks too large to have come from that fish. gar vertebra are much more proportional in size to the fish, and there is no way that bone fits into that fish.

the rest of the bones and scales likely come from that fish, as they show typical decomposition patterns. coloration also changes and the scales tend to clear a bit. wow, seems like the photo was doctored even more than we originally thought!--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store