RTC and TSN Information

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I know they still get pretty big and I think I know the answer to this (no) but I'll ask anyway.

could a SB RTC be kept in a 180 for life?

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
I know they still get pretty big and I think I know the answer to this (no) but I'll ask anyway.

could a SB RTC be kept in a 180 for life?
The accepted size of these things (What ive heard) are 16 - 20 inches, so no :D
RTC should be really active, i wouldnt personally keep one in less than 8'x4' if they get 16 - 20 inches :D

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
The accepted size of these things (What ive heard) are 16 - 20 inches, so no :D
RTC should be really active, i wouldnt personally keep one in less than 8'x4' if they get 16 - 20 inches :D
Oh I thought SB RTCs only got like 14" Nevermind then :).

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Reactions: Matteus

BlueTailCatfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
bmore
I would like to add on to RTCxTSN behavior. Mine has this weird thing where he does not want ANYTHING in his tanks/ponds moved. As in, he is always actively swimming but when you add a new rock, pot, plant or anything to his tank he freaks out and lays sideways in the corner. But the second i remove it he is all happily swimming again. Has anybody else witnessed this?

Also, mine is not aggressive towards tankmates. I can keep 3 inch SA cichlid growouts with him. a foot long massive beast with little cichlids. He also did not eat for a week after i got him. And he did not grow at all in the first month but in the second month he grew 4 inches! Then it has been about an inch a month possibly more.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

castro1212

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2012
metairie louisiana
Hey William! The growth data I have just cited in your thread http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?584392-New-challenge is not only what I had observed but is representative of a number of keeper's experiences who keep pet RTC's more or less adequately. Not that I am closed to corrections or differing opinions/experiences.
Yeah I see. This Q was posted before you posted that. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Yeah I see. This Q was posted before you posted that. Thanks
I see. While you are rightfully pointing out my oversight, I was mainly just qualifying my statement in your thread :) You can and should ask as many questions as you see reasonable in as many threads as you see reasonable :) It's a good practice and shows an earnest effort to learn. No problem.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I would like to add on to RTCxTSN behavior. Mine has this weird thing where he does not want ANYTHING in his tanks/ponds moved. As in, he is always actively swimming but when you add a new rock, pot, plant or anything to his tank he freaks out and lays sideways in the corner. But the second i remove it he is all happily swimming again. Has anybody else witnessed this?

Also, mine is not aggressive towards tankmates. I can keep 3 inch SA cichlid growouts with him. a foot long massive beast with little cichlids. He also did not eat for a week after i got him. And he did not grow at all in the first month but in the second month he grew 4 inches! Then it has been about an inch a month possibly more.
Hey Kiril, I have noticed this behavior and it is, I think, not fish-related - the object has a scent or something on it that puts off / stresses fishes. E.g., when I put things that has been stored in my garage back in a tank, no matter how well I rinse them (even with detergent followed by bleach and clean water although this helps partially), the fish exhibit the behavior you describe. I think the "things" get covered / adsorb some "bad" stuff, e.g., exhaust fumes, fertilizer chemicals, herbicides, pesticides, gasoline, lubricants, detergents, etc. whatever is stored and used out of a garage.

But this thread is not for this hybrid as the hybrid is yet another fish, different from RTC and TSN. I have not read this sticky that's painfully swollen to 66 pages but I'd recommend you start a new thread, why not?

To All, my $0.02: IMHO, a sticky is like a field guide, a source of known and proven and factual info, even if opinions of professionals and high-level amateurs contributing to it differ. It is not there to ask all kinds of diverse questions as there is a forum for that, but it is there for everyone to look up an info on the subject. And that info should be user-friendly, meaning concise but clear nevertheless, reliable, provable (with references), statistically justifiable, etc. When it swells to 66 pages, it loses its purpose, IMHO. But this is a mods' job to do something, if anything, about it. Feel free to disagree or better yet ignore this :)

• Love
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store