Seachem Stability: PUT TO THE TEST/blank slate (daily perams/pics)

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I've always been under the impression that this and several other similar items worked just fine...

But the problem was not everyone got "a good bottle". Extreme temperatures, over exposure to sunlight, age, etc, etc have been suspected of "killing" the product explaining why not everyone has the positive experience you are documenting here...

As for your test, it doesn't surprise me you never caught the nitrite spike. since your tank has had (approx) equal amounts of Ammonia 'eating' bacteria as it does nitrite 'eating' bacteria, the nitrite was converted to nitrate as fast as it was created...

The reason we typically see nitrite spikes is because of the unbalanced numbers in bacteria during the cycling process...

ward1066

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2009
kansas
careful dosing like its a brand new tank, your previously cycled tank might have lots of nutrients still and you may get a bacteria explosion like i did. keeps lots of oxygen going

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Thanks for the heads up. I have two sponges going that are air powered along with the FX5 so I should be OK. Thanks for adding that pic. That's crazy!

NC- that makes sense about the nitrite spike. I guess I am just getting old and used to seeing the nitrite phase as part of the cycling process when not using chems. Was hard to trust it the first two times I used this stuff but it works.

FIN01

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2010
Wisconsin
Had a similar situation as to yours and did not see a nitrite spike. I have been happy with stability the number of times I've used it. Great idea for a thread btw and well done.

RegalAngel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2009
The Redwood Reef
For my Saltwater QT I always use Seachems Stability. Works great to quickly achieve cycling...zero ammonia every time I use it. This is only a 50g QT and I usually only have two or three SW fishes. But makes a quick cycle if the directions are followed.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Todays results (Tue 04/20) Day Three:
  • Ammonia: 0.10 PPM
  • Nitirite: 0 PPM
  • Nitrate: 10-15 PPM (camera flash is lightening it a bit P&S)
P4200225.JPG

This thread really is geared towards new members or doubt'ers of using this stuff. I wanted a thread with progress pics so if someone searches in the future, BAM! Why would you go through a ton of effort when for $10 you can cycle a 125g? I have cycled many tanks, with fish, fishless and this stuff is by far my favorite. AND the bottle is pretty. :grinno:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store