Setting up a used 210

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
I've got another question. I had been planning on doing pvc plumbing. I like the clean look and it feels more secure to me. I don't like the 90* angles creating extra pressure on the returns. Opinions?

moray eel man

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2016
Michigan
I picked up a 7x2x2 today. It wasn't the prettiest thing in the world, but it was the right price. First I've got to clean it up, sand down and repaint the stand and canopy. Then I've got to clean out the sump, re-plumb it and honestly, I've GOT TO HAVE a settling chamber with filter socks before the bio balls, so I need a new piece - a tall slender box with overflows and racks for the socks. I'm hoping I can get it all set up in the next 4 weeks. I'm taking the family to the Bahamas for V-day, then I've got to order some plumbing parts, decor and LIGHTS. I want LED lighting. Any lighting suggestions would be great.

What's best... My wife is in it with me. Long ago... when I last got out of the hobby... I used the hobby to get away from my ex-wife. I would go in the basement and clean tanks. Well this one goes in the living room and she's just about as involved as I am. I set up a 2.5g two months ago and she fell in love.... and I got addicted again.

It'll have pbass, aros and rays.

210 gallon ?

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
Staining is done but my wife isn't happy with the canopy. She'll probably end up touching it up. Plumbing is 75% done. The 300 5050 LEDs work great. I have them looped to 90* turns to cover the under side of the canopy and can't use the adhesive entirely, so I decided to staple them down..... and One staple hit a blue line so the rest of the blues stopped working. It's near the center of the strip. I guess I'll have have to order another one.. $18 though isn't that bad.

Reactions: DN328

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Great job on the stand!

Glad you like the led strips. I know that some people would not like it because its not bright enough for their taste, but I prefer subdued lighting....and I strongly believe my fish appreciates a lower brightness level as well

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
That's only one strip. I'm going to order another one today due to the staple mishap. I think that one strip would have been fine. Seeing it with water in the tank may have changed my mind.

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
I had to replace the megaflow overflow on one side. It turns out that the old one that's still there has a 1.5" barbed fitting on it and the new one is 2". I didn't have any 2" hose so I couldn't get it running last night. It's full of water, just waiting on the lase hose. It'll hopefully be running by 8pm tonight.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Now that the tank has water in it, what do you think of the light?

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
It still looks good. It may be a little dim. Oddly, it looks good even without any blue on the front half of the tank. The other one arrives tomorrow. I think I'll run them both. I think the real test though is how they make the fish look.

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
The wide center brace fell last night. It was even being help up by drift wood I was soaking under it. I'm wondering if that's how the tank was originally constructed. The plastic rim on the tank isn't damaged but has no cross braces. A piece of glass siliconed under the rum and just inside the tank doesn't seem like it would be adding much stability. Other than to sit the glass tops on, what was that brace's function?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store