Setting up a used 210

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
The other development. I tested the old Iwaki pump cycling through the sump with maybe 1' of head. It seemed pretty strong. It couldn't move anything once hooked up to the returns.

The Jebao 12000 I got cheap on craigslist installed quickly and was easy to use. I didn't realize how much flow it loses at 5' of head. That leaves it just about right. We'll see how reliable it is, but I like it so far.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Are you talking about that glass pane on top of the tank? If it is, I'm near certain that's not an original feature of the tank. All manufactured tanks, I know of, nowadays have narrow plastic cross braces mainly for the prupose of supporting glass canopies/covers. Some older tanks don't because they used to use much thicker glasses.

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
This glass is pretty thick . It's an older tank. I'd say 15 years old. That piece definitely didn't look original. Like I said, the black plastic rim on the tank doesn't have cross braces and doesn't look like it ever did.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
This glass is pretty thick . It's an older tank. I'd say 15 years old. That piece definitely didn't look original. Like I said, the black plastic rim on the tank doesn't have cross braces and doesn't look like it ever did.
The lack of a cross brace makes it an inconvenience not to be able to use manufactured hinged glass canopy

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
So you'd agree that those braces are just there for convenience with tops? So I cold just sit it on top of the plastic rim? That's what I was planning on doing since it seems it wasn't really providing for an structural need.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
So you'd agree that those braces are just there for convenience with tops? So I cold just sit it on top of the plastic rim? That's what I was planning on doing since it seems it wasn't really providing for an structural need.
You should be able to easily tell if someone had cut off a brace. If there is no indication of this, then the tank was built without braces and doesn't really require it for structural support. So, if this is the case, then, yes, it was put there from a previous owner not the manufacturer.

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
I left the house this morning without doing anything with it. My first thought was to turn the pump off and drain it half way or so, but I didn't really feel like spending the time before going to work... Then I also felt it was going to be ok. We'll see how it looks when I get home.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Measure the glass thickness and use a safety factor calculator. It should be able to tell you how likely you are to flood your home.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store