Setting up my first saltie

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
CUC will be a snail only crew from reefcleaners, with the probably addition of an emerald crab and a shrimp or two.
Fish stock I thinking about a firefish, bangaii cardinalfish, percula clownfish, goby/shrimp pair, and one or two others.
Corals will be a variety of easy to take care of softies and LPS.
I got a cleaning crew from reef cleaners too, definitely a good buy. Cant wait to see this thing up and running, do you plan to add more coral later on?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
Definitely will be documenting this build since it's the first chance I've had to do a build thread here. I do plan on doing upgrades in the future once things take off, and want a wide variety and diversity of corals. I want to take things slow and make sure I'm doing things right though. I'm looking at this as a marathon not a sprint.

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
Definitely will be documenting this build since it's the first chance I've had to do a build thread here. I do plan on doing upgrades in the future once things take off, and want a wide variety and diversity of corals. I want to take things slow and make sure I'm doing things right though. I'm looking at this as a marathon not a sprint.
Sounds like it'll be a pretty successful system, what lighting do you have?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
I got the model with the 105W CFCquad lighting with LED moonlights, so at about 4W per gallon I'll be able to grow most corals and there are even many people who have successfully grown SPS and clams as long as you are careful in their placement.

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
SPS + clams and LPS +sofites are completely different set ups. I'm no fan of mixing of the 2 as booth require different flow rates and lux ratings which are counter productive to each other. SPS + Clams high flow ratings to shed mucus membranes, LPS, softies and anemones lower flow ratings as to not damage the large bodies of soft tissue.

Slow is good hope you hold your ground and upgrade your testing supplies to more accurate brands like salifert or red sea to care for your corals

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
A note on the bangaii cardinal. I've had two and neither was very active, instead opting for hiding with dull colors. The only time I saw my cardinals being active was during feeding time, and then, they only ate shrimp. I never did pellet-break them. I would suggest going with more than one of them, but be careful cuz I was dumb and introduced a new one after I already had one for a couple months and while the resident didn't try to kill the new guy, he did keep him cornered with shredded fins. :( Its my hope to get a group of three that are already living together from the LFS and try again someday. Just a word of caution and experience, albeit limited experience, with a bangaii cardinal. :)

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
SPS + clams and LPS +sofites are completely different set ups. I'm no fan of mixing of the 2 as booth require different flow rates and lux ratings which are counter productive to each other. SPS + Clams high flow ratings to shed mucus membranes, LPS, softies and anemones lower flow ratings as to not damage the large bodies of soft tissue.

Slow is good hope you hold your ground and upgrade your testing supplies to more accurate brands like salifert or red sea to care for your corals
I don't plan on even thinking about SPS or clams until I've had a lot of success with this tank. I'm aware that they have different requirement, and that they are also going to require more precise water parameters due to watching the individual minerals more closely. As I do become more familiar with the care of a reef I do plan on getting more accurate equipment to better provide for them but to start off I would rather keep things a little simpler if I can.

A note on the bangaii cardinal. I've had two and neither was very active, instead opting for hiding with dull colors. The only time I saw my cardinals being active was during feeding time, and then, they only ate shrimp. I never did pellet-break them. I would suggest going with more than one of them, but be careful cuz I was dumb and introduced a new one after I already had one for a couple months and while the resident didn't try to kill the new guy, he did keep him cornered with shredded fins. :( Its my hope to get a group of three that are already living together from the LFS and try again someday. Just a word of caution and experience, albeit limited experience, with a bangaii cardinal. :)
Thanks for the advice, I didn't know that they do better in groups but my LFS usually has a number of them so it shouldn't be a problem to get a pair that is already getting along with each other.

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
Thanks for the advice, I didn't know that they do better in groups but my LFS usually has a number of them so it shouldn't be a problem to get a pair that is already getting along with each other.
Hey! You might get lucky and get a M/F pair! I've read that they breed easily in captivity! That would be awesome! :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store