Share your amphilophus pictures!

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
So the chancho, Amarillo, and barred midass are all the dark colored Midas right ? Are the names based off of different catch locations? Sorry If I'm wrong I want to find out the difference between them, this thread is making me question why I dnt have an amphilophus

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
Thank you for watching my video's. Here's a pic of my Big boy Big Mac the
View attachment 1210016

View attachment 1210017
Thank you for watching my video's. Here's a pic of my Big boy Big Mac the Trimac.

View attachment 1210016

View attachment 1210017
Thank you for watching my video's. Here's a pic of my Big boy Big Mac the Trimac.

View attachment 1210016

View attachment 1210017
Big Mac is one of the reasons why I got Trimacs - I love chunky blockhead fish and trailers - he has the best trailers of any Trimac I have ever seen.

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks Keith. I really can't take any credit for the fish, he was a drop off at the lfs, and was a beast when I got him. You have an amazing crew, thanks for the photos. Makes me want more.
I had a similar pickup from a lfs almost 20 years ago - he is still the biggest and meanest Midas I have ever seen. I unfortunately only had him for 2 months and had to get rid of him because of a move. He was so angry I never saw him eat once in those two months, but he still looked great. The lfs I dropped him off to was worried because their big tank had a pair of snakeheads that were killing everything. I said not to worry and he made it clear instantly he was running the tank. Then he went to move an electric catfish on the bottom and got the shock of his life - likely the only fish he ever backed down to

Reactions: Frank Castle

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
So the chancho, Amarillo, and barred midass are all the dark colored Midas right ? Are the names based off of different catch locations? Sorry If I'm wrong I want to find out the difference between them, this thread is making me question why I dnt have an amphilophus
Chancho, Amarillo and Midas are all different species and originally from limited locations. Midas are more spread out and can look different depending upon location. The grey you mention can have beautiful shades of yellow, green, etc. depending upon their mood and maturity. They have beautiful subtle colors that don't always show up on camera. Like you, I'm looking to get more - even willing to get rid of some parachromis to make room

Reactions: Alexxxxsv14

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Chancho, Amarillo and Midas are all different species and originally from limited locations. Midas are more spread out and can look different depending upon location. The grey you mention can have beautiful shades of yellow, green, etc. depending upon their mood and maturity. They have beautiful subtle colors that don't always show up on camera. Like you, I'm looking to get more - even willing to get rid of some parachromis to make room
NOOOOOOOoooooooo, not the Parachromis!!!!!

Parachromis > Amphilophus :D

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Thanks for the info, originally what got me real interested into amphilophus was the so called "red islatus" is that another form of Midas cichlid ? I'm going to wait for these to be on rapps list or dans at cichlid of the Americas if I can't find any then I will go for an Amarillo or barred Midas i like the big dominant Nuchal hump

Reactions: Twonvito

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks for the info, originally what got me real interested into amphilophus was the so called "red islatus" is that another form of Midas cichlid ? I'm going to wait for these to be on rapps list or dans at cichlid of the Americas if I can't find any then I will go for an Amarillo or barred Midas i like the big dominant Nuchal hump
I've never had one, but I've read they are caught from a shallow and weedy area of a lake that has Midas - so could be a different species or a variation of Midas. I'll let others pipe in that have more knowledge.

Reactions: Alexxxxsv14
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store