New Jersey

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
the Thai yarelli

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
You mentioned earlier and here again that you feel your Thai fish is a yarelli. Could you please be so kind as to explain why you feel he's a yarelli and not a rutilus? To my eye, he looks more like a rutilus than a yarelli. I'm curious what your reasoning for this line of thought is. I suspect there may be a morphological trait on your fish that I am missing that would diagnose it as yarelli. :)

Estarego8

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
New Jersey
You mentioned earlier and here again that you feel your Thai fish is a yarelli. Could you please be so kind as to explain why you feel he's a yarelli and not a rutilus? To my eye, he looks more like a rutilus than a yarelli. I'm curious what your reasoning for this line of thought is. I suspect there may be a morphological trait on your fish that I am missing that would diagnose it as yarelli. :)
He has pictures on my thread of both fish. To me it does not look like my Rutilus and more like my other Yarrelli. Just looking at the fin and body position. As well as speckles and banding traits. When my fish was a little smaller it still maintained its current structure, but lacked the red orange hue in its fins and body

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
He has pictures on my thread of both fish. To me it does not look like my Rutilus and more like my other Yarrelli. Just looking at the fin and body position. As well as speckles and banding traits. When my fish was a little smaller it still maintained its current structure, but lacked the red orange hue in its fins and body

This is what I'm thinking as well. I believe, and have for a while, that rutilus is a lot more common than they get credit for. With how rare goonches are on the whole, there's not much material to compare.

Normally people are a bit more open to hear what you have to say if you're nice about challenging their preconceptions. :)

Estarego8

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
New Jersey
Also Ng & Kottelat describe three solid dark bands. His thai has a fourth on its head. Not to say its not possible but there are some characteristics that seem different about it from my textbook Rutilus. I wonder if these large Bagarius ever cross species :confused: :beer:

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Also Ng & Kottelat describe three solid dark bands. His thai has a fourth on its head. Not to say its not possible but there are some characteristics that seem different about it from my textbook Rutilus. I wonder if these large Bagarius ever cross species :confused: :beer:
VERY good observation. I'm not so certain that could be called another stripe or if its head is just a bit darker. I'd love to see some really high res images of that fish. :D :cheers:

I'm going to start my research on these fish tonight.

Evilartform

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2012
Philippines
Honestly I feel that it's the head shape of my Thai that gives it away. It's not high as most rutilus that I've seen. I'm no exclaiming that it truly is a yarelli it's just that in comparison to my true Indian the head shapes aren't too different if not exactly the same. Will take then out soon and take more pics. :)

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Honestly I feel that it's the head shape of my Thai that gives it away. It's not high as most rutilus that I've seen. I'm no exclaiming that it truly is a yarelli it's just that in comparison to my true Indian the head shapes aren't too different if not exactly the same. Will take then out soon and take more pics. :)

I know exactly what you're talking about with the head shape. To my eye as an outside observer, your fish does appear to have the rounded rutilus-like head to me. The pics aren't the best, however. I look forward to seeing some more pics. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store