Show me your goonch!

djaalix

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2011
Mahopac Falls, NY
i dont notice heavy breathing at all, but then again i run a rediculous amount of oxygen through to help compensate for the higher temp

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Estarego8

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
New Jersey
i dont notice heavy breathing at all, but then again i run a rediculous amount of oxygen through to help compensate for the higher temp

Yea I have live plants and pumps in mine as well. Maybe its just because I was used to see them at the lower temperature. I will add more air pumps :) and maybe another power head

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

djaalix

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2011
Mahopac Falls, NY
my tank is literally a swirling cauldron of bubbles, with 2 3200 gph pumps on the bottom blowing bubbles, and the one sits right in front all the time! the other only at night, and thats when they jockey for position, they have like a shoving match, its kinda funny...... plus i have 2 air stones in the sump, not to mention the extra O2 from the overflow/sump system
not too pretty, but it gets the job done
uploadfromtaptalk1361753362545.jpg

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
DJ I'm sure both of yours are Indian yarrelli. Very, very nice looking fish. Would you mind if I used pics of your fish in a Bagarius ID thread I'm working on?

The key way to tell a yarrelli from a "Thai yarrelli" (really rutilus) is that rutilus has almost no spots and elliptical eyes where yarrelli is fairly heavily spotted and has round eyes. Roberts in 1983 noted that in the eastern part of the range of these fish, some of the "yarrelli" display very odd coloration and I can't help but notice that they have elliptical eyes. Interestingly enough, it seems that yarrelli is in fact in Thailand and is sympatric with rutilus.

I strongly suspect that until Ng & Kottelat's revision in 2000 rutilus was commonly considered a yarrelli, and due to the fact that this info is just now trickling out to the hobby, these fish will continue to be commonly called yarrelli. See the image below.

Roberts 1983 page 440 image for MFK.jpg
Image credit to Roberts, 1983.

Roberts 1983 page 440 image for MFK.jpg

djaalix

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2011
Mahopac Falls, NY
ohhh wow, i didnt realize thai goonches were indeed rutilis.... then i agree they def are both yarelli ... yeah chicx, feel free to use whatever you like.... i've been saying i'm gonna break out the nice camera one of these days, but i never get around to it :(

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
ohhh wow, i didnt realize thai goonches were indeed rutilis.... then i agree they def are both yarelli ... yeah chicx, feel free to use whatever you like.... i've been saying i'm gonna break out the nice camera one of these days, but i never get around to it :(

The cool thing is though that Thai fish can still be yarrelli. ;) Yarrelli and rutilus live side by side.

Estarego8

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
New Jersey
DJ I'm sure both of yours are Indian yarrelli. Very, very nice looking fish. Would you mind if I used pics of your fish in a Bagarius ID thread I'm working on?

The key way to tell a yarrelli from a "Thai yarrelli" (really rutilus) is that rutilus has almost no spots and elliptical eyes where yarrelli is fairly heavily spotted and has round eyes. Roberts in 1983 noted that in the eastern part of the range of these fish, some of the "yarrelli" display very odd coloration and I can't help but notice that they have elliptical eyes. Interestingly enough, it seems that yarrelli is in fact in Thailand and is sympatric with rutilus.

I strongly suspect that until Ng & Kottelat's revision in 2000 rutilus was commonly considered a yarrelli, and due to the fact that this info is just now trickling out to the hobby, these fish will continue to be commonly called yarrelli. See the image below.

View attachment 884933
Image credit to Roberts, 1983.
I honestly believe there is some type of inbreeding occurring between Thai Yarrelli and Rutilus. The Rutilus seems much rarer to come by. Especially confirmed. I know there are both Yarrelli and Rutilus in the thai region. Inbreeding is distinctly possible :) I look at my Rutilus and see a pure one. I have seen what look like crosses before too :3

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I honestly believe there is some type of inbreeding occurring between Thai Yarrelli and Rutilus. The Rutilus seems much rarer to come by. Especially confirmed. I know there are both Yarrelli and Rutilus in the thai region. Inbreeding is distinctly possible :) I look at my Rutilus and see a pure one. I have seen what look like crosses before too :3

I do suppose that it's possible for a rutilus and yarrelli to crossbreed (;))with one another in the wild. It would, however, be very unlikely. There is quite a bit of variation among any population as far as colors and markings go, they're not perfect diagnostic traits. Just because Ng & Kottelat said every rutilus they observed had orange fins doesn't mean that they all do or that they all do throughout their entire range. We must look at the morphological traits of the fishes, not their colors. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store