Siamese carp "calming" fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
Problem is that it's difficult to find young common carps for sale due to the laws and the fact that they are invasive species. Also it might takes a while to find the common carps while the koi carps are already available. Problem is that common carps often carrying parasites that might pose a threat to your only one saimese carp.
Acquiring Cyprinus is not an issue, I've been dip netting 2" individuals for the past few nights. They will be quarantined and de-parasitized in a seperate tank.

Looks like I'm going to be doing commons! Any other suggestions?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Acquiring Cyprinus is not an issue, I've been dip netting 2" individuals for the past few nights. They will be quarantined and de-parasitized in a seperate tank.

Looks like I'm going to be doing commons! Any other suggestions?
Is legal to collecting common carps in your state and allowing you to keep them for aquarium purposes?

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
It is illegal to collect food fish unless you acquire a permit (these are only issued to scientific personnel, educators, and AZA certified facilities).

However, the lake I've been dip netting them from is private, as well as on private property. It belongs to a friend of mine, and with his permission, I am within the law to collect from his property. The only grey area comes with transportation of the specimens back to my home.

ryzcris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
Singapore
A school of mahseers would be nice. not sure if they are easy to come by where you're from. I've been searching around for himalayan golden mahseers myself with little luck.

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
Mahseers are certainly an option, though quite an expensive one. They are however available in the U.S. market fairly regularly. My main issue with the majority of the available mahseers (at least the ones I find most visually appealing) is the potential max size. I'm already going to have a massive system running for the Catlocarpio, and I'd rather have the majority of the bio space reserved for it.

I may look into one of the smaller species though. Thanks for the suggestion!

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I have always loved common carp so I vote common carp! Some corn and an afternoon you'll be a happy camper. Might take more than an afternoon due to trying to get a small enough one though. I personally love the fight from the +15lb monsters haha!

If your intent is to take care of the fish for the rest of its life then by all means go for it if you have a fishing license. I see these carp treated so horribly when there honestly stunning fighters with a great gold color. I know they are a bit invasive and eat the lakes clean but there native where I live and would like to continue to fish them on a regular basis. Imagine having a fat 22 inch carp run up and down the tank begging for food in a home aquarium when it see's you :hearts:

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Careful, just because you have a fishing license, doesn't mean you can keep the carps for home aquariums or that you can transporting them alive.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
In my states its legal to take fish for whatever purpose but of course in regards to the limit. The only law that is in effect about taking fish into a home aquarium is that once its in there you can never release it back due to the fear of disease wiping out the entire stock. But even if its not legal and you ask a ranger 99% of the time they wont have a problem with it due to the natural habits of the carp. They hate it and don't care what you do with it as most want them dead.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
In my states its legal to take fish for whatever purpose but of course in regards to the limit. The only law that is in effect about taking fish into a home aquarium is that once its in there you can never release it back due to the fear of disease wiping out the entire stock. But even if its not legal and you ask a ranger 99% of the time they wont have a problem with it due to the natural habits of the carp. They hate it and don't care what you do with it as most want them dead.
99% of rangers wanted the carps dead and they want to make sure they are all dead. You might get in trouble if they caught you transporting live carps. There are many concerns about transporting invasive nowadays and many states are seeking to add regulations to the laws to slow down the spreading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store