Siamese carp "calming" fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
99% of rangers wanted the carps dead and they want to make sure they are all dead. You might get in trouble if they caught you transporting live carps. There are many concerns about transporting invasive nowadays and many states are seeking to add regulations to the laws to slow down the spreading.
Actually nearly all the ranger's I've met when fishing all love carp and fish for them regularly. Chumming is even illegal yet I have had countless talks about what we chum with and what works and doesn't work. In my area the only sport fish that can even slightly compare is wiper which are scares or a +32 inch lake trout which isn't much a fight at all. In all my years of fishing only two rangers told me to leave the carp I just caught on the rocks to die. I told them I caught the fish and its my decision to keep, kill, or release and released it right in front of him and he left with a bit of a grudge.

When I say carp I'm not talking about Asian carp which are invasive but common carp which are native. So native that they were there way before you were born. I called my local fish and game and they don't mind people taking fish for their home aquariums even if its common carp. Commons/buffalos are wanted or even needed to have a healthy lake or river and Asian carp are the invasive monsters I think you are thinking off.

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
Catlocarpio siamensis are very social fish they like to be around there own species. I would try to get one or two more. But being a very peaceful fish they can get along with any peaceful fish. There not predators so they can even be kept with smaller fish. My advice and experience in preventing them from being skittish is don't approach the tank to fast. A white color shirt can freak them out wear darker shirts when feeding or being around the tank. Don't turn off the lights to suddenly best to gradually bring down the lights for complete darkness better to have dim night light is best. Keep your top covered well position objects like rocks driftwood power heads in places they don't ram into them. Sinking pellets is best food for them. You can give them live Blackworms or live Brineshrimp on occasion.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Actually nearly all the ranger's I've met when fishing all love carp and fish for them regularly. Chumming is even illegal yet I have had countless talks about what we chum with and what works and doesn't work. In my area the only sport fish that can even slightly compare is wiper which are scares or a +32 inch lake trout which isn't much a fight at all. In all my years of fishing only two rangers told me to leave the carp I just caught on the rocks to die. I told them I caught the fish and its my decision to keep, kill, or release and released it right in front of him and he left with a bit of a grudge.

When I say carp I'm not talking about Asian carp which are invasive but common carp which are native. So native that they were there way before you were born. I called my local fish and game and they don't mind people taking fish for their home aquariums even if its common carp. Commons/buffalos are wanted or even needed to have a healthy lake or river and Asian carp are the invasive monsters I think you are thinking off.
Common carps are considered to be invasive species and they are not native to North America. We have problems with common carps on daily when I'm out for a field work and we remove them as we could. There are no studies that support your fact that common carps are good for our ecosystems. In fact there isn't any positive the common carps offers to the ecosystems. Also common carps and buffalo are not even same fish and they have completely different diet & niche. My internship from few summers ago involved killing and removing unwanted common carps from the lakes and rivers. The carps can easily take over the lakes, even with predators and bow fishing that tried put a dent on them. Many fish officials don't care if you snagged them or bow fishing at the dam in protected areas. This is common carp I am talking about. Not Asian carps...in fact we don't even have a breeding population of Asian carp in my state. Did you used the facts from Carp Fishing*Association?

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Common carps are considered to be invasive species and they are not native to North America. We have problems with common carps on daily when I'm out for a field work and we remove them as we could. There are no studies that support your fact that common carps are good for our ecosystems. In fact there isn't any positive the common carps offers to the ecosystems. Also common carps and buffalo are not even same fish and they have completely different diet & niche. My internship from few summers ago involved killing and removing unwanted common carps from the lakes and rivers. The carps can easily take over the lakes, even with predators and bow fishing that tried put a dent on them. Many fish officials don't care if you snagged them or bow fishing at the dam in protected areas. This is common carp I am talking about. Not Asian carps...in fact we don't even have a breeding population of Asian carp in my state. Did you used the facts from Carp Fishing*Association?

I got my "facts" from the rangers I've talked to over the years. Rangers informed me that carp in general were used to control growth of vegetation which help tons in a lake with algae blooms or string algae problems. Didn't we have a conversation about carp not eating and you were wrong several times such as, you said the carp wouldnt eat because there adults when they were merely a foot? And once you were proven wrong you said it was damage to their mouth from the hooks when the hooks I use fit inside the average person's finger nail?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I got my "facts" from the rangers I've talked to over the years. Rangers informed me that carp in general were used to control growth of vegetation which help tons in a lake with algae blooms or string algae problems. Didn't we have a conversation about carp not eating and you were wrong several times such as, you said the carp wouldnt eat because there adults when they were merely a foot? And once you were proven wrong you said it was damage to their mouth from the hooks when the hooks I use fit inside the average person's finger nail?
Sounds like the rangers were wrong. Common carps do not control the algae blooms and stringy algaes at all. They increased the algae blooms and that's what happens to our lakes where highest populations of carps are at. In fact they don't even touch the stringy algaes. Yes I remembered that conservation about why it is unwise to put a string into the carp, they can actually caused damages on the gills and suffocated them. You asked the questions about why the carps won't eat. The pictures proved it. In my experiences that hooked fish won't eat for a while after they are caught and relocated to a new area. Adults are difficult to be trained and have them to eat new things.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Lol you are so wrong about the string. That isn't why they didn't eat, they simply didn't eat because they weren't trained. When I string fish its straight from the gill plate. I don't string in between their gills so you saying the picture proved that they didn't eat from your bs theory is just hilarious.

I found the thread and look at what it said sensitive nancy
I think you misjudge the size of the carps in the pictures. Either you have tiniest hands or the carps are already over 16". I've seen lot of carps are capable at spawning at 16" and full of eggs. So please dont bull****ting me that you have two 10" carps because I'm not buying it and the pictures don't lie. Perhaps they are spooky because of someone tied up them with the ropes (hint the first picture) and also they were hooked. I don't think you can compare the sunfish to the carps.
Didn't I measure my hand and we did some fancy measuring and it turned out to be 10-12 inches? Your knowledge just makes lol, I forgot your the guy who catches a 12 inch trout and says it was a 23 inch beast eh?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Lol you are so wrong about the string. That isn't why they didn't eat, they simply didn't eat because they weren't trained. When I string fish its straight from the gill plate. I don't string in between their gills so you saying the picture proved that they didn't eat from your bs theory is just hilarious.

I found the thread and look at what it said sensitive nancy

Didn't I measure my hand and we did some fancy measuring and it turned out to be 10-12 inches? Your knowledge just makes lol, I forgot your the guy who catches a 12 inch trout and says it was a 23 inch beast eh?
There goes your ego and your post just made you looks like an ignorant person. Time to put a stop on your personal brickering.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Haha you mad bro? You know that you're wrong and that everything you said about carp not eating is straight :bs:

Heres that thread if anyone wants to read through it :grinyes:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-547739.html
No I didn't say that I was wrong and I didnt resort to insult or posting childish posts to just prove that you're right. The fact is that string can damaging the soft tissue of the gills and that hooked fish tends to took a while before they will starts to feeding. Not mentioned that the hooked fish needs to be settle down in a new location. Also the common carps are not native to North America and they will never become naturalized. I've seen negative effects from them on the ecosystems personally and there are no single study to support the fact that the ecosystem benefited from the common carps. But you can stop post here if you want to insult or post a childish post on here.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
No I didn't say that I was wrong and I didnt resort to insult or posting childish posts to just prove that you're right. The fact is that string can damaging the soft tissue of the gills and that hooked fish tends to took a while before they will starts to feeding. Not mentioned that the hooked fish needs to be settle down in a new location. Also the common carps are not native to North America and they will never become naturalized. I've seen negative effects from them on the ecosystems personally and there are no single study to support the fact that the ecosystem benefited from the common carps. But you can stop post here if you want to insult or post a childish post on here.
I'll try and clarify where you were wrong.

1). What you said.
Did you caught them on hooks? If so that's why they are skittish and shy. Another problem is that you caught adults....they are less likely to take prepared foods from you and most likely they will starving themselves.
You said its because I caught them on hooks when I use a size 8-10 hook which fits inside your nail. No damage to their mouths what so ever.

Then you say I caught +16 inch ADULTS. We go over it and it turns out to be juveniles which are about 12 inches correct?

The whole rope theory is Bs. The rope doesn't interfere with their breathing at all. The rope is tied from the bottom so its basically on the gill plate and not in-between their actual gills. The gills still functions correctly without any problems.

My local lakes that have carp are crystal clear unless its been raining and mud runs off into the lakes. Other local lakes with little carp have seaweed problems and also greener than pea soup.

When I say "native" here
Commons were introduced in the 1830's I believe? So you say you're a native Minnesotan if you were born and raised in Minnesota correct? That's the context of native I was using for these native carp. Yes someone did put them here but they have been native longer than you have been living in your native home town.

Being native also means place of birth. These carp were born in my local lakes and someone didn't come put them in which makes them "native"

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store