Silver Dropeyes can never be avoided?

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Is that why the black aros don't get this condition,because they are not captive bred?
Yes i believe so. Silvers aren't bred for genetics they are mass bred for money and due to the fact they are all mainly captive bred not for proper genetics they usually develop some sort of drop eye. Now a wild caught silver won't likely develop drop eye much like the black arowana. I am not saying it's correct but it's what I've heard and logically speaking it sounds right.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xharold

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2014
Scarborough
Try using a different color top floating object. I've had aros in that stage of de and helped them from that stage. I used those 25. Cent dice in the huge gumball machine in old navy clothing store. I used the highlighter green color and always have used it. I have yet to own an Aro with drop eye after using it. Mostly owned silvers. Gl
So something like a neon color? The pingpong balls I have are yellow and has a smileyface on them.

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Yes i believe so. Silvers aren't bred for genetics they are mass bred for money and due to the fact they are all mainly captive bred not for proper genetics they usually develop some sort of drop eye. Now a wild caught silver won't likely develop drop eye much like the black arowana. I am not saying it's correct but it's what I've heard and logically speaking it sounds right.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Wild will get de just as easy as farmed. I have had many of both including my current wild with de. I imported my wilds so I know they are wild. Otherwise it can be a crapshoot for if they are truly wild or not.

The only way to avoid it is if they don't hit their heads. That is it. No real way to fix it either. Other then surgery that is.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Interesting.I wonder what it is about the black aros that prevents them from getting drop eye.

waynes world

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2010
North Manchester UK
So would it help to have a dark base? and lots of plants and also the floating items? i am thinking on getting another to grow out so want to doa ll i can the prevent DE

dbcb314

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Tallahassee
So would it help to have a dark base? and lots of plants and also the floating items? i am thinking on getting another to grow out so want to doa ll i can the prevent DE

If it were that easy people would have figured it out by now.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I've had several big silvers without drop eye issues.
I kept them in shallow pools, darker bottoms and lots of stuff (plants) hanging over head - keep it natural as possible.

That being said, I also have a few in a display that was over 10' deep. None of the big silvers I had in there developed any problems, so it can't be fully an environmental issue.

From my experience, I would attribute it to a combination of environment, diet and a little bit of the genetics.

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
I've had several big silvers without drop eye issues.
I kept them in shallow pools, darker bottoms and lots of stuff (plants) hanging over head - keep it natural as possible.

That being said, I also have a few in a display that was over 10' deep. None of the big silvers I had in there developed any problems, so it can't be fully an environmental issue.

From my experience, I would attribute it to a combination of environment, diet and a little bit of the genetics.
In those setups did they have anything to jump I to and hit there head?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store