Silver Dropeyes can never be avoided?

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Wild will get de just as easy as farmed. I have had many of both including my current wild with de. I imported my wilds so I know they are wild. Otherwise it can be a crapshoot for if they are truly wild or not.

The only way to avoid it is if they don't hit their heads. That is it. No real way to fix it either. Other then surgery that is.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
My black aro hits his head fairly often when he gets overexcited during feeding times..Any idea why he doesn't get it?

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
My black aro hits his head fairly often when he gets overexcited during feeding times..Any idea why he doesn't get it?
Black aros aren't as prone to de like silvers.

Also so everyone knows black aros are actually farmed as well.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Could black aros not get drop eye because of their size? When I see a 2 foot silver aro is looks a lot thicker and heavier then a 2 foot black. Maybe this Additional wait causes the fatty buildup around the eyes. Anyone ever do a study on the matabolic rates of silvers and blacks? Maybe black arowana naturally have a higher metabolism meaning they don't store as much food as fat

dbcb314

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Tallahassee
I've had several big silvers without drop eye issues.
I kept them in shallow pools, darker bottoms and lots of stuff (plants) hanging over head - keep it natural as possible.

That being said, I also have a few in a display that was over 10' deep. None of the big silvers I had in there developed any problems, so it can't be fully an environmental issue.

From my experience, I would attribute it to a combination of environment, diet and a little bit of the genetics.
Maybe such a big fish isn't meant to be kept in most "home size" aquariums?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
In that case no fish is meant to be kept in home aquariums

and what about the bigger fish than silver Arowanas that are commonly kept.

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Could black aros not get drop eye because of their size? When I see a 2 foot silver aro is looks a lot thicker and heavier then a 2 foot black. Maybe this Additional wait causes the fatty buildup around the eyes. Anyone ever do a study on the matabolic rates of silvers and blacks? Maybe black arowana naturally have a higher metabolism meaning they don't store as much food as fat
Black aros are smaller due to the overall difference in feeding behaviors. They don't eat as much nor as aggressively as silvers. They also don't jump as much when compared to silvers.

Now if it just was weight based jars and arapimas should in theory get it more then the do.

I believe (some research done to back) that it isn't fat being the build up behind the eyes but scare tissue. I have watched over 20 silvers in my possession get de directly from head trauma. I have had over 100 silvers. In those same fish I have had equal numbers in blacks. The blacks are far less likely to jump and when they do they don't put as much force into it as the silvers do of equal size.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Black aros are smaller due to the overall difference in feeding behaviors. They don't eat as much nor as aggressively as silvers. They also don't jump as much when compared to silvers.

Now if it just was weight based jars and arapimas should in theory get it more then the do.

I believe (some research done to back) that it isn't fat being the build up behind the eyes but scare tissue. I have watched over 20 silvers in my possession get de directly from head trauma. I have had over 100 silvers. In those same fish I have had equal numbers in blacks. The blacks are far less likely to jump and when they do they don't put as much force into it as the silvers do of equal size.

Thanks for clearing that up

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Seems silvers are really prone. Usually after trauma. I have an African aro that's jumped into the lid and out of his tanks more times than I can count, missing scales and torn fins but never drop eye.

My old silver hit his head on the lid once and DE started almost immediately.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store