Silver Dropeyes can never be avoided?

administrator

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2011
What about removing the fat that builds up behind the eye. I have seen a few videos online and I believe a member also posted his attempt as well. I would be a bit skittish myself to preform such a thing but the way they go at it online seems likes they do it all the time. Especially when it comes to trimming/scoring the tail and around the gills.

Maybe someone who has more experience on this these types of surgeries can chime in. The DE does not really bother me but if it were easily repairable I sure would like to know how. Thanks.

KELVINFONG

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2013
SINGAPORE
All my aros never have drop eyes.. always switch on a centrally located lights 24/7. Never use a side light to tan a aro... confirm eye sure drop

KiZZLe

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2008
USA
IMO... Feeding arowana any fatty foods will cause the eye to drop. They are not designed to eat fish. I'm sure they can, but they prefers to hunt insects, amphibian, small birds and reptiles, which are all high in protein and low in fat. Most carnivore pellets are very fatty, so be careful of how much food you are feeding to your arowana. Try to let the arowana digest or burn off some of its food before the next feeding. If you keep an arowana, a strong current is a must. Strong currents in your aquarium will also help the arow to burn calories from high fatty foods. This way, the body will burn the fat instead of storing it. In the wild, arowanas doesn't eat everyday and they swim constantly all day searching for food. IMO... That's why it's very rare to see any drop eye with wild arowana. Just like anything else in this world, if you eat too much without any exercising you will become fat. We as humans stores fat mainly around our bellies and arowana stores it behind their eyes. Remember, this is just my own humble opinion and my from my own experience from keeping my arowana eyes from dropping. This has been working for me, so I hope this helps. Happy fish keeping.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store